1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grammys? Who cares? Country radio still hates the Chicks!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ifilus, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

These are the people who want to totally ignore the First Amendment and misinterpret the Second Amendment.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

When was the last time you listened to country radio? I'm guessing never (willingly). As DJ pointed out, it's not like the DCs are unable to get their music heard. Hell, what happened to them is a PR goldmine. People outside of hardcore country fans never gave a shit about the DCs until this whole episode. Now peole who DON"T GIVE A SHIT about country music are defending the DCs. I think they'll be all right.

As with every political-related thread on this board, the narrow-mindedness works both ways.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Pal, I liked the Dixie Chicks before this. I don't like country music, but I like the Dixies.

PR goldmine? Since when is losing your target audience and having to disappear for two years to let things cool off a PR goldmine? They won the Grammys, but check out the threads from last spring/summer, when Hondo King Of The Patriots was sportin' a woody over their less-than-stellar ticket sales.

And while you seem eager for me to paint all country fans with the same brush, I'm merely saying those who boycott the Dixies over this are frauds and narrow-minded fools.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Narrow-minded frauds because they don't agree with you. I stand corrected; you are incredibly tolerant of others.

Those who don't agree with what the Dixie Chicks did have just as much right to express themselves (by boycotting, speaking their minds, whatever) as you and the rest of the DC supporters.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The Dixie Chicks are free to express themselves.
    And country music fans are free to ignore them.
    That's the way things are supposed to work.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Again: Where are the protests aimed at Toby Keith? Bruce Willis? Any other celebrity endorsing the Republican agenda in Iraq?

I'd say the same thing if that happened, except I don't have to, because it didn't.

A slippery slope begins with radio stations refusing to play a band's record because of its political beliefs. Sorry you fail to see that.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

You're right, there are no protests from the anti-war crowd. You win. Back to the soothing joy of the other music thread.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I ask you if there's been any organized boycott against celebrities sporting the war and you come up with a vague comment about the anti-war crowd being unhappy with the war. Okeydokey. Thanks for clearing that up.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Why would anyone boycott Bruce Willis? And if you think Toby Keith deserves to be boycotted, start organizing that. You've got a lot of spare time on your hands, right?

Now quit stalking me.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

No need to be a dick, Pall. I didn't realize a back-and-forth on a thread constituted stalking. Guess it goes both ways here.

You've got the spare time too. Go look up the Willis quotes.

11. Perfectly put. BYH is free to start his Toby Keith boycott any minute now.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Or I could just ignore him.

Draft saved Draft deleted