1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grammy nominees

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Lady Gaga wins Album of the Year.

Will need to look at the other award categories.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

BTW, can anyone explain the difference between Record of the Year and Song of the Year?

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'll be surprised if Album of the Year goes to anyone but Adele.

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

It's going to be a great battle. Can't go wrong with either one.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

From Wikipedia so you KNOW it's true:

Nothing on the nominations excites me too much (suspect Bruno Mars might have a good showing). Count me in with those who don't particularly dig Pumped Up Kicks; if you want a single from Foster the People, Helena Beat is far better.

6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I like Jethro Tull to win in the category for Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance .

7. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Love him or hate him, Kanye is a great entertainer. Watch the Throne was an amazing album, maybe the best of anyone all year. And I'm not even a huge rap guy.

But look at some of the songs and artists up for awards, it makes me realize why I am still listening to OK Computer or The Dark Side of the Moon. Today's music is mostly watered down and just brain dead.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Petula Clark (Best Rock and Roll Recording, 1964) and Marilyn Horne (Most Promising New Artist, 1964) say hi.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

So one's for the performer and the other's for the writer? Makes sense looking at the nominees.

I'm with IJAG ... completely out of the loop and quite content that way. I've heard of possibly three artists on the entire list excluding the country. Those I've heard of, although I can't say I know any of the songs involved.

I'll take Radio Margarataville any day.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You and me both. Or even the Sixties on 6. I've taken to listening to that during drive time, and love hearing some of those old songs popping up that I haven't heard for years.

Last night, they played Lou Christie's "I'm Gonna Make You Mine," and it threw me back about 35 years. :)

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Ah, yes, we've reached the portion of the yearly Grammy thread where it is decided that music sucks these days.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Do you ever listen to The Spectrum? Great mix of old and new stuff without the Top 40 stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted