1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grammar vs. Story Telling

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TomVince123, May 15, 2014.

1. TomVince123

TomVince123 New Member

What's more important, excellent grammar or being able to tell a great story?

2. Decadent

Decadent New Member

A great story, but you can't have a great story without good grammar. No one is going to hang with something clumsy for long.

I know the Dimmesdales here will immediately shout about Hemingway, as they often do, but that's an exception, rather than a rule.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Grammar is more important. It is a basic foundation of storytelling.

By grammar, incidentally, I'm not talking about term paper style and not using contractions. I'm not talking about vague cliches.

4. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

I guess I'd say grammar. People won't read much of a great story if the first sentence is something like: "The interwebz were abuzzin' 'bout da first time Jonny Doe thruw a touchdown!"

As journalism shifts toward fewer copy editors and more immediate posting, you'll need to produce clean copy while telling good stories, too.

5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I'd fuck storytelling, marry grammar and kill punctuation.

Draft saved Draft deleted