1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grammar Question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LazyReporter, Nov 13, 2008.

1. LazyReporter

LazyReporter Member

For all you copy eds out there...

The playbook, and each of the plays therein, was barred by the association.

or

The playbook, and each of the plays therein, were barred by the association.

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Were ... and lose the commas.

3. LazyReporter

LazyReporter Member

Thanks. The rules about subject-verb agreement when using "each" still confuses me. :-[

4. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

The word "and" makes it a plural entity.

5. reformedhack

reformedhack Active Member

It's was.

"and each of the plays therein" is a dependent clause, a secondary thought to the main concept of the playbook. Therefore, the playbook was barred by the association.

The only way it is were is if "each of the plays therein" is a crucial thought, critical to the news of the sentence, if it's important to the entirety of the statement, in which case you would lose the commas.

6. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

Even better:

The association banned the playbook and all of the rules inside.

7. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

I think Dickens' point was it shouldn't have been a separated clause in the first place. Otherwise you're correct, as I understand it.

8. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Which is why it's were and you lose the commas. With them, it's an awkward sentence.

In fact, why do you even need it? The dependent clause is redundant. The playbook already encompasses all the plays.

Just rewrite the sentence, sans the plays part.

9. LazyReporter

LazyReporter Member

This is better, especially since I'm still confused. Thanks for the edit.

It's necessary to qualify that all the plays are banned because there had been a suggestion to put some of the plays from the banned playbook in a new playbook.

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

This is 100 percent correct. And if it's important to qualify that the plays themselves were banned, then I'd use the sentence you originally posted. Don't modify it. Just use was.

11. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Why? It's awkward writing.

12. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

That's true. It would depend on the context of the story, I think. If it's a longer piece, I'd prefer to use the sentence as it is written rather than something like "The association banned the playbook and all the plays."

If it's a six-inch brief, I'd be more apt to use the sentence I just constructed.

Draft saved Draft deleted