1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grammar question about Jimi Hendrix

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Feb 13, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

How would you make his name possessive?

Like, if you were talking about his song, "Purple Haze," would you say Jimi Hendrix' "Purple Haze," or Jimi Hendrix's "Purple Haze." I would probably go with the first. A copy editor at my shop argues for the latter.

My style guide has nothing in it about Hendrix other than an entry that reads, "Buncha damn hippies. Cut your hair!"

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

x's. "S" is the only letter that doesn't get an "apostrophe S."

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

what he said

4. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Damn. I was hoping we were going to try to parse:

"And with this crutch, its old age and its wisdom
    It whispers, 'No, this will be the last.'

And The Wind Cries Mary."

I've always figured generally, he's asking if the sadness over his lost love will fade, and concluding that he can't imagine it will, in the terrible immediacy of his present circumstance.
    But that's just a guess.
    On the other thing, Hendrix's.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Well that sucks. It sounds so awkward. It's like saying the Red Sox's home stadium, Fenway Park. Just looks and sounds weird.

6. beardpuller

Ahhh, but there's a difference: Red Sox's is a triple sibilant. You wouldn't do that, because of the three s sounds. It would be Red Sox'.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Three s sounds?

8. beardpuller

Yeah, Red Ssss ox ssss' ssss.

I know this because, many years ago in another lifetime, I was on the desk for a while during the Moses Malone era, and how to handle "Moses' " came up. That was the official ruling of the learned grammar jedi.

9. Simon_Cowbell

moses' is definitely only two s sounds, though.

10. Disagree.

11. beardpuller

Yeah, but Mosss e sss ' sss would be three, if you put the extra s on the end, now, wouldn't it??
    You're just pissy because Van Halen sucked.

FYI, my wife bought two pricey tickets to a Lyle Lovett-John Hiatt concert for my Christmas present, not realizing I'll be out of town on the concert date. Nobody wants the damn tickets. That's a hundred bucks worth of nothing.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Mozesss'sss

Draft saved Draft deleted