1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grammar Hotline

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Re: Grammar Crisis

I certainly can not remember all the rules, though I try. But I can keep a stylebook by my home and office computers. ;)

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

"grey" is the same as "colours" except for greyhound.

I have to look up lay/lie pretty much every time I deal with it, 21, and often, I do what Wonderlic did...

Online style book: Great deal. Even if you have to $25 a year for it yourself...

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It gets hairy when you get into laid/lain.

I don't think I've seen lain in a sentence since grammar school.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

As a rule I try to avoid 'hairy' and 'laid' in the same sentence. Or in the same day.

5. spud

spud Member

Adding 'on the game' to the end of scoring totals has never made sense to me. "...56 points on the game." How is that right?

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

That is worse than 'on the day.'

Both are dopey.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

How about Earl Grey tea?

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Exactly. No one wants gray tea. Except AP, apparently.

9. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

on the game? That would be for the game, at least to me. And I hate myself for working my way into that phrase as much as I do.

I'm also guilty of using "on the day/evening." I don't know why I keep using phrases that bother me so much and I'm trying to get out of the habit of that.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Hope this is the latest grammar thread. Working on editing a friend's doctoral paper.

Can/may. My thought - "can" is ability; "may" is permission.

How it came to me:
    "Church leaders are often unaware of the vital role that they may play in times of tragic need."

I feel like it should be "can."

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Tricky, because they essentially have been given permission to play that role. I still feel it should be "can."

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

That's a big theme of the paper. It's the project I worked with while doing my AmeriCorps gig in Minot.

Draft saved Draft deleted