1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gram Parsons: RIP 9/18/1973

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Sep 18, 2012.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Hard to believe it's been 39 years since the passing of one of my original music "heroes." RIP, Ingram.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Thanks for starting this thread. I recently joined spotify and I've been spending most of the time staring at the screen unable to think of what playlists I wanted to make. Can't believe I forgot GP. My musical tastes are all over the map — from Hank Williams to Pantera — but over the last decade I gravitate more often than not to alt-country. The discovery of Parsons' anthology ten years ago got me started on that particularly satisfying musical journey.

just pulled up "In My Hour of Darkness," one of those sad songs that makes me happy, if that makes any sense.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Big GP fan. And his adventure after his death would make for a great movie.

And YGBFKM, I thought of you while listening to the "Sound Opinions" podcast yesterday. They were playing "under the radar" bands and played a song by Scott Lucas and the Married Men, who are from Chicago and describe themselves on their website as "“country-ish, alt-rock for people who like metal.” Figured that couldn't be more up your alley.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Great description. I'll have to look them up. Thanks.

5. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Wow. Really glad I used a Gram Parsons-inspired headline today. Didn't realize it was the day he died.

7. PCLoadLetter

Referring to Zack Greinke as the "Grievous Angel"?

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Older Guys Had It All Worked Out (reference to Colts' veterans having a good day Sunday).

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Is Greg Kot and/or Jim DeRogatis still hosting that show? Damn, I remember enjoying "Sound Opinions" years ago on WXRT radio in Chicago. And I'm talking 15 years ago.

And RIP to Gram Parsons ... I need to dig up "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" and give it a spin.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

11. PCLoadLetter

Yeah, same guys. You can get the podcast on iTunes. I just discovered it a few months ago and I'm really enjoying it.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Also, he gave the world Emmylou Harris:

Draft saved Draft deleted