1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Graduate School

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Jan 21, 2012.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I was going to post some kind of good natured, half-snarky comment about the end of my social life after tonight because I'm about to start graduate school.

However, in light of hearing a recent report that longtime Penn State coach Joe Paterno was taken off a respirator, I thought it would be more respectful to simply state that I'm starting a primarily online master's program in human resource management at the University of Maryland University College. My first face-to-face class is this coming Wednesday.

I'm definitely excited and have been for a while, but I'm also a little bit nervous since it has been 11 years since I've been a degree-seeking student at a university.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Oh sweet motherfucking jesus.

Joe Paterno's dying. Has been for months. So now you can't be happy about a new step in your life without feeling like you're stepping on the toes of someone you've never met, nor never will meet.

We have RIP threads on top of Deadspin threads on top of song threads. Don't make excuses, and don't invoke Paterno like it's some grand kindness you're doing to take a step back out of respect for a freaking football coach.

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Anywaaaaaaaaaaaays... ;D
    Congrats.
    Going back to school is a huge decision. I never really understood it when people said it, but after nearly six years at a full-time job with bills to pay and (wanting) kids to think about, I totally get it.

Good luck. Get plastered like a freshman.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Good news. You have a little extra time to be snarky.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This. If you were worried about offending people or God or whatever the fuck you believe in, you wouldn't have rambled about how your mind had impure thoughts in the OP.

6. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

+1

7. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Best of luck in grad school, f_t. UMUC has a great rep. Grad school can be fun and when it is over, you won't necessarily miss it but glad you did it.

Draft saved Draft deleted