1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Graduate school options

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Actually, I'd guess 50 percent of the people who won a Pulitzer Prize have an advanced degree. There's a whole thread on it somewhere.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I know people who went D and got no career options out of it. That's probably the weakest of the lot.

3. Not even a professorship? It clearly would be the most fun of the options. But I think that's something you do at age 22, not 30-plus with family.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

As someone in my late 20's and who:
    1. has been in the sports journalism biz with a decent job covering the sport and team I loved growing up, with wide latitude about what I wrote,

2. has been in a graduate program with MBA students (my master's was in marketing, but about half of the classes we took were with MBAs),

3. is currently in his second week of law school in a full time program at a lower-tiered school,

I agree with what Leo said. You can't stay in the journalism biz and do law school, even part-time. There just aren't enough hours in the day.

While I had a great time with my marketing comrades, the MBA group, speaking generally of course, is a different bunch. I don't think many of us on this board would like hanging out with many of them. You will never understand how true the FedEx commercial is until you are around them full-time:

I'm only two weeks into law school, but I am loving the intellectual challenge. It's quite fascinating to me when the court takes what at first seems like an impossible situation and fashions a solution that perfectly balances granting fairness in the case at hand while not creating harmful broader policy in the process.

Of course, they don't always get it right, but it's fascinating nonetheless.

You've got to figure out what you want to do. Take an objective look at all your options and give all the factors an assigned weight. Then add what your heart is telling you to account for about 50%. You'll figure it out.

5. 212areacode

212areacode Member

Option D-21-D2: Work hard. Good stuff happens.

6. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

The elevator operator analogy is the best I've heard for the state of our business in a long, long time.

I'm at a similar crossroads, similar age (32) and wondering where is this biz going. The MBA route has always had some allure, but can you get a halfway decent gig if you go to a school that is not a top 10 biz school?

Draft saved Draft deleted