1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grading my fantasy baseball draft

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jason Haupricht, Mar 28, 2007.

1. It's good to see someone else thinks Zumaya is worth taking. I selected him in the 21st of a 24-round draft. And people were asking me why. Why? Because he throws the ball 200 miles an hour (as long as he lays off the PS2 game Guitar Hero).

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I was forced to take Jones as closers were going ridiculously early, so it only made sense to take Zumaya on the comeback.

Fuck, like it's out of the realm of possibility that Jones gets hurt or has a fucking heart attack on the mound? Besides, you can always put him in your lineup for K's and low ERA and WHIP if someone else gets hurt.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Jason, if I were you, I'd thinking about going out and getting some pop -- somewhere. You need some extra-base power.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

My biggest concern right now: Beckett's ERA has to come down, right?

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

He's going to win 20 games with a solid ERA this year. He's the best pitcher on that team. Nice pick.

I also grabbed Schilling and Beckett in consecutive rounds in the NIAFL draft. Just wish Beckett was available in my AL-only league. Fuckin guy who has him kept him at $20. Grrrr.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You know they'll both come through on wins and K's. If their ERA's are good, they're legit studs.

7. the_dome

the_dome New Member

Standard 12-person Yahoo! Roto League. I think this is a fairly decent draft, but who knows....

1. (4) Alfonso Soriano OF
    2. (19) Carl Crawford OF
    3. (26) Roy Halladay SP
    4. (41) Johnny Damon OF
    5. (48) Paul Konerko 1B
    6. (63) Jonathan Papelbon RP
    7. (70) Scott Kazmir SP
    8. (85) Carlos Guillén SS
    9. (92) Chris Young SP
    10. (107) Takashi Saito RP
    11. (114) Cole Hamels SP
    12. (129) Jeff Francoeur OF
    13. (136) Ian Kinsler 2B
    14. (151) Chipper Jones 3B
    15. (158) Michael Barrett C
    16. (173) Frank Thomas Util
    17. (180) Josh Johnson SP,RP
    18. (195) Rafael Soriano RP
    19. (202) Jonathan Broxton RP
    20. (217) Alex Gordon 3B
    21. (224) José López 2B
    22. (239) Homer Bailey SP

8. the_dome

the_dome New Member

My other draft in a Yahoo! 12-man head-to-head league with standard 5x5 scoring categories went like this.

1. (2) Johan Santana SP
    2. (23) Jason Bay OF
    3. (26) Roy Oswalt SP
    4. (47) Joe Nathan RP
    5. (50) Francisco Rodríguez RP
    6. (71) Ryan Zimmerman 3B
    7. (74) Scott Kazmir SP
    8. (95) Magglio Ordóñez OF
    9. (98) Jim Thome Util
    10. (119) Édgar Rentería SS
    11. (122) Derek Lowe SP
    12. (143) Richie Sexson 1B
    13. (146) Josh Johnson SP,RP
    14. (167) Coco Crisp OF
    15. (170) Ian Kinsler 2B
    16. (191) Johnny Estrada C
    17. (194) Adrián González 1B
    18. (215) Ryan Freel 2B,3B,OF
    19. (218) Boof Bonser SP
    20. (239) Alex Gordon 3B
    21. (242) Craig Monroe OF
    22. (263) José López 2B

I know, way too much pitching and I drafted closers too early, but that's what I sold my soul for.

9. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

No way. He doesn't miss bats. Ever. Which means not only does he cost you Ks and K/BB, but he has to be almost perfect for an entire season to help you out in ERA or WHIP. And he's certainly not going to win many games.

10. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

What makes you think Helton's numbers are going to rebound?

Baseball Prospectus has him hitting about .300 this year with 20 home runs - an increase from 15 last year, but probably not the kind of increase you are banking on.

Even in his 90th percentile, they have him with 26 home runs. I hope you didn't take him too high. Guys like that can kill you. As can guys with career years like Jermaine Dye. Don't ever draft last year or two years ago. Draft what you think they're going to do this year.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I look at some of these rosters and the same mistakes keep popping up - you should never, ever, ever draft two second basemen or two catchers unless on is injured to start the season.
    Both positions are incredibly thin after the first three guys, so your backup isn't worth the roster spot over say, an OF who could potentially hit 25 HRs or a setup guy who could be a closer. My favorite 2B fill in this year has been Freddy Sanchez, who is a steal late in most drafts because he's primarily a 3B, a position where he doesn't have much value because he has no power. At 2B, he's tremendous because of his average.
    Zumaya should go in the 14-16 rounds of most drafts, with Broxton, the japanese guy from Texas and Suchscherer to follow. Those guys lower WHIPS and ERAs and their strikeouts add up. I feel you're better off with a bullpen with high K/9 guys, because they will slowly and steadily up your Ks while lowering other stats. If you can get an RP with SP eligibility, that's a find.

Draft saved Draft deleted