1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grade 12 student suspended for Jesus shirt

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, May 5, 2012.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm going to hell but that made me spit my beer.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You don't have to duck. You just need to feel shame. :)

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Only if I go to the box two minutes first.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

No cussing, gang items, drug use, nudity, etc... on this shirt, so they should have never messed with the kid.

If a school is ever taken to court on a dress item, most of the time the school will lose.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You realise this happened in Canada, eh?

We don't adhere to whatever ideas America has of free speech.

That said, the school board overreacted.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's political correctness run amok.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

My الآباء went to مكة المكرمة and all I got was this lousy T-shirt

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well done.

9. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Thank you, Ragu.

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Not sure about Canadian law.

In the U.S., the First Amendment prevents the government from establishing religion, but also prevents it from abridging the free exercise of religion. The courts have pretty consistently held that students have virtually-complete freedom to wear clothing with religious statements, give speeches/do projects about religious themes, et al, because of the free exercise clause.

A lot of times, school admins fear they're going to get in trouble because of "separation of church and state" concerns, but the Constitution is pretty clear on what's allowed and what's not. As a public school teacher, I cannot evangelize my students nor can I wear overtly religious shirts because that would, as a state actor, be "establishing" religion. But I cannot prevent my students from doing the same.

So, if this happened in the U.S., the principal & school board might find themselves on the losing end of a First Amendment suit and out a few thousand bucks in fines. But I'm not as certain about Canadian law -- which is much more of a common law-based system with a *very* loose Constitution/Declaration of Rights & Freedoms.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Although in the U.S. he would be free to wear such a shirt, it's to be noted that William Swinimer is another one of these "My Jeebus is bigger than your Jeebus and your going to hell if you don't believe in Him" prigs.

Yes, "your."

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

I took some shit for posting this status on Facebook on Easter Sunday:

Happy Easter! Today is the day Jesus comes out of His cave, sees His shadow and predicts six more weeks of Cadbury Easter Creme Eggs!! Hurray!!! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted