1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grad school notifications

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RossLT, Sep 3, 2008.

1. RossLT

RossLT Guest

So about five months ago I applied to grad school and I still haven't gotten notified. My school told me that they were still notifying people of their admissions for fall semester as of two weeks ago (the fall semester just started on Tuesday). I have a hard time believing that they were still notifying people two weeks before the semester started.

My question to my friends of SJ is twofold; First, is this a normal timetable for admissions decisions and two, do grad schools give more weight to people who got their undergrad degree from the same school?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

My guess, based on my admittedly limited experience, is that they're not bullshitting you. A good friend of mine is working in grad admissions to help pay for grad school at my alma mater and she says they were accepting new applicants all last week (classes started today). They'll take anybody who wants to fork over the money, and they're sneaky bastards about it: Apparently, you can take up to 12 credits without declaring your major. They spin it as buying you time to figure out what you want to do, but the kicker is those 12 credits don't count towards your grad degree.

So basically you've blown more than $10K and you have zero credits. Good times!

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I don't know exactly how late they wait, but I've heard of people waiting into May and June to find out about grad school.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

if all they wanted was his money, why drag out the notification this long?

5. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I applied for the Spring Semester, which starts in January.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Maybe Ross also needs financial aid?

His school might prefer to give the spots to those who are ponying up the cash right away.

Edit: Or he applied for spring! :D

Ross, I wouldn't sit tight waiting. You've probably got a couple months, at least.

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I am getting financial aid. No way I can pay for school out of my pocket.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

BYH knows about waiting. ...

Enjoy your time, my ... something.

9. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

If you're going for the spring semester than it is normal for you not to have gotten one yet. I know a friend who got accepted for the last spring semester, but did not get his acceptance letter until early December. For some people who get accepted, they won't get their letter until a month at the latest. So I wouldn't worry.

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Thanks wanna, I have been getting frustrated with them.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Who knows more about waiting than Mikey?

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm going to start taking days away whenever I'm bored.

Draft saved Draft deleted