1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grad School Invterviews

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Totally Krossed Out, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm contemplating making the leap to the dark side and going for my MBA. Anyway, all my interviews have been on the phone since I'm applying to schools back in the state where I'm from. But I did apply to one part-time program so I could work at the same time, and I have an interview Monday to explain why I'm contemplating such a dramatic profession change.

Anyway, since it's not on the phone I have no idea what to expect. Do I wear a suit as if it's a job interview? I'd rather not since I have to work a desk shift right after - I'll likely be late - and don't want to explain why I'm dressed up for a super casual job (the night shift deskers usually wear jeans, or even shorts in summer). But if I just showed up in slacks and a nice shirt, maybe tie, would I look unprofessional?

Any advice would help.

2. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

I'd start with spell-checking your resume. "Interview" can be a toughy.

;-)

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

For an MBA, I would wear a suit. You are making a commitment to become a professional student for a few years. It's the same as a job interview in that vein. You could get away with a jacket and tie, but a suit will make you more memorable.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Calling the admissions counselor, or perhaps the professor you're interviewing with, concisely explaining your circumstance and asking if it would be appropriate to wear something less than a suit would show more common sense than the average MBA candidate.

It would be a good ice breaker for the interview as well, and a chance to explain the job you currently have, and why you are considering leaving it. Of course, you need to consider how formal the interview is. Is it with one guy in his office or is it with a panel in some conference room?

It would suck if you go in with your black suit/MBA uniform and you are interviewing with a professor who is wearing shorts and a golf shirt with his feet propped up on his desk. I don't see why you would be presumed to know what you're supposed to wear.

5. Cracker

Cracker Guest

I would definitely suit up for that. It takes less than five minutes to change. Just go straight to a bathroom at the school and change as soon as the interview is over with. I've had to do that before... change from a sleeveless shirt and old raggy shorts into a suit in some grungy gas station bathroom after a 6+ hour drive for an interview. Got the job.

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Relax. shorts and flip flops are appropriate
    after the third question, reply - I've learned something in all my years. Sometimes
    you just gotta say, 'What the fuck.'

Draft saved Draft deleted