1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grace period for expansion franchises?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Now that the Rockies are in the World Series, it got me wondering what is the "appropriate" amount of time an expansion franchise needs to go before making its first championship appearance?
    For example, the Marlins' first title in 1997 and Arizona's World Series win in 2001 were nice for their cities, but came four and three years, respectively, after expansion. Hardly enough time for them to pay their dues, so to speak. The Carolina Panthers made it to the Super Bowl in nine years, which was borderline OK by me. I say 10 years is about right. Anything less than that, and there's just something wrong compared to what fans of franchises like the Cubs, Red Sox, White Sox, Pirates and Phillies have gone through. What does the rest of SportsJournalists.com think?

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Don't forget, the Carolina Panthers and Jacksonville Jaguars BOTH made it to their conference's championship games in their second season. I believe this prompted some changes in how expansion teams would be formed later (i.e. Browns and Texans).

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And let us not forget that the way the 1960 expansion draft was held for the Angels and Senators, prompted changes in the National League the following year so the Mess and Houston were left with the dregs of baseball.

4. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

10 years? I'd say five is more than plenty.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The Devil Rays are on the clock.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's ok by me if the new Browns pay their dues and suck for a few more decades.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Dawgpoundiehard's heart just stopped and he doesn't know why

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'd say five for a playoff appearance in the NBA and NFL, where it's a little easier to make it (more teams, more parity). In baseball, a playoff appearance is something special unless you're the Yankees. In baseball, I'd say 10.
    In general, I say 10 years for a championship-level appearance (World Series, Super Bowl, NBA Finals). Less than that and it seems like expansions teams have to buy titles (a la, the '97 Marlins and '01 D-backs).

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why should they need a "waiting period" at all? If you put together a team good enough to do it in two years, more power to you.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's kind of the "new kid on the block" thing. As a fan, is it distasteful to you at all when an expansion team comes into the league and wins a title after only a couple of years?
    I agree with you, spnited, that if a team can do it in two years, more power to them. My question, I guess, was how long do they need to go before most fans are OK with it.

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

New Orleans Saints: 41 seasons and waiting. Last year was the first sniff of championship and they bombed out of the NFC title game.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The idea of a waiting period is crap. Just because your franchise's management is dead does not mean there needs to be a period of respectful mourning.

However, a championship or multiyear playoff run right out of the box doesn't mean as much to a city or region as a title won, say, after at least 20 years in town. That's because at least one generation has grown up with the team and passed on its fandom, through thick and (mostly) thin.

Draft saved Draft deleted