1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GR Press/Kalamazoo Gazette to cut 233

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hank_Scorpio, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/grand_rapids/Grand-Rapids-Press-Kalamazoo-Gazette-to-lay-off-233

Effective beginning of January.

Haven't heard of a breakdown, but linked story does say newsroom will be affected.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Shit. Outside of completely shelving the print product, what more can they cut?

And if this is going on at Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo, you know Michigan's other Booth papers are going to have layoffs, too.

"The beatings will continue until morale profit improves." :mad:

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Active Member

Is this tied to the cuts announced earlier this month, or is this something new?

4. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

The other Booth papers already did make cuts. My colleague at The Flint Journal got canned a couple weeks back, but he was supposed to finish out his contract into January or February. As he was trying to file a story on a Saturday morning, his editor called and said he was done immediately.

It's a whole new ballgame for MLive.

5. PBOWKER

PBOWKER Member

This is tied to previous announcement of cutting down number of newspapers to three per week, delivered. I am told about eight people, TOTAL, will be left in Gazette newsroom. These are huge cuts, all the way from publisher to editor to city editor, and beyond. GR is regional center for editing, design, etc., but GR is losing a ton of people, too.

6. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I heard that this new "epicenter" will involve using companies from out of state for design purposes. Don't know if it's fact or fiction.

7. American Civilian

American Civilian New Member

Come on, they're only laying off 550 of Booth's 1,200 employees.

http://www.mlive.com/business/index.ssf/2011/11/layoff_numbers_confirmed_for_b.html

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

EIGHT? Jeebus fuck...

9. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Eight? Jeez, one person calls in sick, or is on vacation, or takes a day off, and there goes 12.5 percent of the staff. And what about Saturday and Sunday?

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Do more with nothing.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Man, it's going to be a free-for-all for Michigan elected officials. No one will be watching a damn thing.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Active Member

I am curious about staffing in Kalamazoo because I think it portends the future as more papers regionalize.

I don't think Kalamazoo staffs the Big 10 schools or the Detroit teams. I think Booth covers these teams collectively for the chain but I have not seen the Kalamazoo paper for three years and don't have a clear memory.

I would guess Kalamazoo regularly covers the local minor league baseball and hockey teams and Western Michigan University. And I would guess a couple staffers on preps.

So after consolidation how many sports staffers does Kalamazoo still have? Will they still have a beat guy at Western Michigan? Will they cover the monor league teams? How many prep staffers? Or are those unanswered questions?

Draft saved Draft deleted