1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GQ's Top 25 Coolest Athletes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Not a SJ, and only moderately self-respecting, so I'm safe. Did he actually get sports fans to care about skiing for more than 2 weeks every 4 years? If so, he belongs on the list.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yep.

Here's a recap of the greatest downhill racer ever:

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Watching him ski, you can tell that he's better than everyone else? I can't, though I don't doubt that he is. It just doesn't seem like a sport that the layman can catch the nuance without hearing announcers or seeing the clock.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

COuld someone explain to me how Derek Sanderson is the only hockey player on the list which I guess would make him the coolest hockey player of all time. I know the 70s pre date me, and I am well aware of who Sanderson is, but would I have ever considered him the coolest hockey player of all time? hell no. But maybe I just have never understood "cool." Who's deciding on what makes an athlete cool? Lincecum I would never have considered cool.

5. Killy was more than just skiing -- he was like Pele was for soccer in the 60s -- even if you weren't a skier, you'd likely heard of Killy

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Jeter, Montana and Messier being off this list does not seem right.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Iverson is the "what doesn't belong and why" on the list

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Like him or not, Iverson's influence on how NBA players look and dress is undeniable. Iverson was the first NBA superstar to wear cornrows and have his body virtually covered in tattoos. Now, seemingly everyone does that. (In fairness, Dennis Rodman probably brought tattoos into the NBA mainstream, but a lot of people wrote him off as a bit of a loon).

Draft saved Draft deleted