1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GQ on Brendan/Brian Burke

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Dec 28, 2010.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That was an awesome story. That scene with Burke talking for the first time at that Toronto school was so moving. I'm sitting in my office here hoping that no one comes to my door because they'd see a 47 yr old father of two with tears in his eyes in the middle of the day.

2. ringer

ringer Active Member

I read it and my question remains.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Because NBC's credibility gets shot to hell with their relentless cheering for Team USA and their act that the sport you are watching is live when in reality, the event ended 12 hours before.

4. mb

mb Active Member

If I want to see the shit NBC produces during the Olympics, I'll watch Dateline: Olympics. When I turn the channel to a sporting event, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to see ... a sporting event.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You mean you don't know if it's a well done story after you've read it?

And your question is, well, irrelevant.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

NBC, ESPN, to name a few, will beat a story into the ground. A good example was last night's MNF, when the real story was about Atlanta and their quest to go undefeated at home. MNF opening was about the Saints post-Katrina.

It took away from what the Falcons have done up to last night.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I still am scratching my head as to why someone would compare this terrific profile on Brian Burke, his son and the issue of homosexuality in sports to the NBC blow-jobs during the Olympic games.

8. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

NBC has actually done some really good, long-form features in its Olympic coverage. The Sam Waterston-narrated retrospective on the 1994 cross country relay race was well done in 2006, and they also had a good piece on a Greek runner who survived WW2 internment and won the Boston Marathon (I think it aired in 2004). And to be fair, the network vastly scaled back the cheap, manipulative short features that really blemished the coverage in the early to mid-90s (I'm looking at you, John Tesh.).

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

It was a solid piece.

This part, however, pissed me off:

"As a scout, Patrick had racked up a lot of hours in locker rooms listening to the kind of talk that drove his little brother out of the sport in high school: "These are farm boys from Western Canada who haven't been exposed to much. It's not like N.Y.C., where everyone has fifteen gay friends. If you told an NHL player, 'You're going to have a gay teammate,' the first thing that would pop into his mind is Richard Simmons skipping into the locker room in a leotard and then he sits on your lap. That's the stereotype most of the guys have.""

Because it's all of those bigoted Western Canadian farm boys you have to worry about. Apparently they are at least as open to the rest of the world as high school students in Boston. Love that broad brush.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I took that as something picked up in dinner table discussion.

Once the NHL opened up to Americans it became a more refined sport much like all male clubs opening membership to the ladies. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted