1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GQ on Brendan/Brian Burke

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Jeeezus. Read this and don't cry at least once and you're made of tougher stuff than I am.

http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201101/brian-burke-nhl-gay-players-athletes

2. maberger

maberger Member

it is an amazing read. Brian's words about Brendan's last moments and about Matthew Sheppard are heart-rending.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It took me a long time to get through it. The died alone in the snow part? Wow. Like someone turned on a faucet. I have kids that age. I still ask them to call me when they get home after long drives.

4. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Well done, but who told the writer that the Leafs are "the most storied" franchise in the NHL?

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I linked it on the NHL thread last week, but I think it was overlooked there. Great stuff....

6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I read this the other day. It seems he is still reluctant to talk about it (his son coming out_, but seems as if he is using it as a kind of catharsis.

Good stuff.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I didn't get choked up at all until the last graf. That is a hell of a kicker right there.

8. maberger

maberger Member

isn't she from toronto?

9. ringer

ringer Active Member

I'm sure it's a well-done story, but here's what I don't get:

How come NBC gets universally reamed for airing features like this during the Olympics, but everyone genuflects when the same story runs in print?

Anyone? Anyone?

10. mb

mb Active Member

Because when I watch a sporting event, I expect to see ... wait for it ... a sporting event. When I pick up a magazine, I expect to ... read a story.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Because we turned on the Olympics - not the Lifetime Network. What NBC does is manipulative.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, maybe if you read the story, you'd understand the difference.

Draft saved Draft deleted