1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GPS advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by melock, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Third it. Got a TomTom One and I *loved* being in a "city" out in the country and punching in "24-hour drugstore" and it giving me directions AND a phone number to the place. Perfect.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I never have to Mapquest anything, including schools. All I do is search for the name, and I've got the directions right in front of me. I haven't used my printer since Christmas.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Did you get lost trying to find Pussyville? :D

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

No. But I did get sidetracked and wound up at Taco Bell. I got a chalupa, felt tired and went home. It was a good night, though.

5. Trey Beamon

Not a bad alternative. I prefer the Steak Quesadilla, though.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't like steak.

7. Trey Beamon

There's the line to turn in your man card, sir. I think FirstDownPirates is a few spots ahead.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've been told that before, and I've also been told I'm not an American because I don't like steak. I'm not giving up my man card for that. Besides, I already turned it in when I bought the first four seasons of Full House.

9. Trey Beamon

Did the cashier give you a funny look? I get it occasionally when I buy certain albums.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

A little bit. But I'm pretty sure it was out of jealousy.

11. KP

KP Active Member

More examples of the pussification of America. Buy a map book.

12. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Four months ago, I would have agreed with you. But my in-laws bought me a Magellan for Christmas and the thing just kicks ass.

It doesn't have all the bells and whistles - it won't find me any 24-hour drug stores - so I do have to do a bit of research beforehand. But as long as I have an address, I'm golden.

Two weeks ago, I was in Chesapeake, Va. for a state wrestling tournament; my hotel's in Portsmouth. I figure by Saturday afternoon, I'll be low on gas; I'd like to get it from Costco, where it's 10 cents cheaper than everywhere else. But the only Costco with gas is in a non-descript part of Norfolk. And my only familiarity with the area is getting to and from the tournament site.

I plug the address in and boom, I get there with no problem. Turn-by-turn audio directions, a split screen showing me if I have to make two quick turns... it's wonderful.

KP, for the longest time, I figured the thing would be largely useless to me. But I won't drive to an unfamiliar area without one.

Draft saved Draft deleted