1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GPS advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by melock, Dec 22, 2007.

1. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I've been looking to buy a GPS unit lately, but don't really know what the differences are between the ones that are $150 and $400 other than more expensive ones have bigger screens.

I'm currently interested in a Magellon Maestro 3100 that would be about $140 after all is said and done. Anyone have any experience with this? Good or bad? Thanks for the help!

2. I'm in the same boat. Magellan is a good brand from what I hear. I think the difference between the cheap and the expensive ones are the expensive ones actually tell you where to go and have better screen resolution.

3. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

You don't need a GPS for this, sir.

4. Especially if you have a wife.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I got my Dad a Magellon Maestro 3200 for $169 at Best Buy a few weeks ago. Course he's not the one who needed the GPS. My mom gets lost in the mall.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Garmin eTrex or 60 Series for hand-helds if you want it for hiking.

If you want one for driving so you won't get lost, buy a good map and ask directions. Much cheaper and your brain will do the work.

7. Sorry, but my coverage area is the larger than the state of Rhode Island - and being on the cops rotation I'm constantly having to head off to obscure places in a hurry.

But you can go take a hike. ;)

8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

How are they liking it so far if they've used it that is?

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Dad really likes it, but he's a tech geek (engineer). He loves the touch screen, and the fact that it's small enough he can fit it in his coat pocket without his pocket bulging.

Mom can't figure it out. Course she can't figure out how to turn on her computer either.

10. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I am actually planning on switching my cell service from T-Mobile to Verizon when my contract is up in two months. I was going to get the GPS on my cell phone through Verizon. Anyone have it, and does it work and is it worth it instead of buying one of these other units?

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Just bought my sister that Maestro 3200. Went in thinking I was going to buy a Tom Tom GPS, but consumer reports wasn't that high on it. The 3200 looked like the best balance of performance/features and price to me. I hope my sis likes it. (Only problem, being a Mac guy, is that the update software is PC only. But, my sis rebukes the almighty power of Steve Jobs, so I guess it'll work for her.)

12. Same reason, I'd be interested in hearing how Verizon users have fared with this feature.

Draft saved Draft deleted