1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Govt obtains wide AP phone records in probe

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, May 13, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Finally, some government action the press finds offensive:

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The Patriot Act has basically given presidential administrations unchecked power in trolling in the name of "investigations." Combine that with an administration with a zeal for ferreting out leaks and whistleblowers, and this is what you get. Between this and the IRS targeting of tea-party groups (which Obama spoke out against today), it's clear Congress needs to cut down the power of the executive branch to peek into our business for the flimsiest of reasons.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Congress will never do that. It's easier (for both parties) to scream about abuse of power when you're the outs than to change the law in any way, since changing it will lead to attack ads calling you responsible for the next terrorist incident whatever it is.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

NYTimes.com has this on their front page right now.

They jumped on this one right away.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The lesson of this, and the Bloomberg incidents, is that if you give people the tools and authority to snoop, they will.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Chilling

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Underscores my long-standing observation: "It's always the dumbest thing that gets you."
    And this was dumb, dumb, dumb.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Well hell I guess I'm going to have to get that Obama tattoo removed now.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Justice Dept. will have it removed for you.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I feel like I should file an FOI, see if one of my calls bitching about the disappearing EPL standings was included.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Since The White House was not aware I don't see this story getting legs:

"Jay Carney, a White House spokesman, said the White House was not involved in the subpoena. “Other than press reports, we have no knowledge of any attempt by the Justice Department to seek phone records of the A.P.,” he said, adding “we are not involved in decisions made in connection with criminal investigations.”

12. Well said.

But they are protecting us from terrorists! So ...
    ... .... .... ... I'm not holding my breath.

Draft saved Draft deleted