1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Government subsidies to US manufacturing: Good or bad?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, May 11, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Interesting story about the recovery of American manufacturing.

www.nytimes.com/2012/05/11/business/subsidies-aid-rebirth-in-us-manufacturing.html?_r=1&hp

2. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

There are a lot of good, solid arguments against this, from helping spike inflation to setting up a harmful subsidy "arms race" with other countries. But given the billions of government money already thrown each year at the oil and gas industry, what the heck...

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If government can build baseball and football stadiums, they might as well go all-in.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You've got it backward. Government should be all out of the stadium business.

5. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Not that it's a great argument, but I can't think of another country - that has any kind of notable manufacturing sector - that doesn't subsidize it in some large or small way.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Oh, I agree.

I just find it insane that the One Percent that gripes so much about their taxes doesn't see a problem with devoting taxpayer dollars towards subsidizing a private entertainment business.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Both.

It's frequently good and frequently wasteful.

Draft saved Draft deleted