1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Government Motors" returns to top of world's auto sales

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jan 20, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Don't be dissing the Caprice. The Two-Toned Whale got the job done.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I'd be happy if Cadillac brought back the DeVille and ditched the station wagon on roids known as the Escalade.

3. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Unless you're planning on putting a third row of seats in the DeVille, you're losing the mommy market.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

More failure on the part of "Government Motors." All the naysayers were right, shoulda just let it collapse.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-chevy-impala-20130726,0,816405.story

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Impala is a real eye catcher. Impressive job by GM design group.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

My 2010 Malibu has been one of the most reliable and pleasurable cars to drive I've ever owned.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

My 2004 Monte Carlo, which I bought off the showroom floor with 12 miles on it, rolled 107,000 miles and just needed the original front brakes and rotors replaced. Car is just now starting to have the occasional dumb thing go wrong.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

As is my Tahoe- and can't say enough about how good dealer service has been.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

More bad news for the "Government Motors" critics...

http://www.tennessean.com/interactive/article/20130805/BUSINESS/308050058/GM-expected-announce-Spring-Hill-expansion-Tuesday?nclick_check=1

If the expected new jobs are brought to the plant, they could be opened up for local applicants, rather than being filled mostly by UAW transplants from other areas where GM has shuttered factories, the union has said. That’s because most of the displaced UAW members who were still available for work have already found jobs.

Sure am glad the government didn't take over the huge Wall Street banks and run them into the ground, the way it did GM!

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Just saw an article on CNN.com that reported the average age of vehicles on American roads is at all time high of 11.4 years old, up from 8.5 years old in 1995. Makes you wonder if the auto market may be in for a boom as those vehicles age out and more drivers than ever are in need of a new vehicle?

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Part of that is the economy, and part of that is durability having become more valued than planned obsolescence. I would not be surprised if demand stays pretty steady for new vehicles for the foreseeable future.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The Impala really roared to success once GM copied the design of the Camry.

Draft saved Draft deleted