1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Governator orders salary cuts, but Cali's computers too old to handle it.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Aug 5, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Governator Ahhhh-nuld ordered 200K California state workers' salaries reduced to the minimum wage of $6.55/hour because a state budget hasn't been approved yet. It's supposed to take effect in a couple of weeks and last until the state Assembly passes a budget he's willing to sign.

Small problem: The state controller says the pay cut isn't feasible because the state's payroll systems are so antiquated it would take 6 months to go to minimum wage and 9 months more to restore salaries to their original levels once a budget is passed. :D The state legislature has avoided investing the money to upgrade the state payroll system. Their systems are programmed in COBOL, a language which dates from the Viet Nam era (and which is an unholy bitch). Normally, to find COBOL programmers in 2008 you have to get them to come out of retirement.

That leads to another small problem: Any semi-retired programmers (who might conceivably know COBOL) who were still on the state payroll were laid off last week by Ahhhh-nuld due to the budget crunch.

And if they're smart, they'll charge consultant's rates to come back and work on the problem.

http://www.sacbee.com/111/story/1132588.html

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Hasta La Windows Vista.

Baby.

3. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Wait, wait, wait... Arnold said he would restore order to California's finances when he called for a TOTAL Recall of Gray Davis.

What a Republican having problem balancing a budget, seems so out of character.

wasn't this guy an actor? Shocker he can't lead.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Since you're so great at it, let's hear your solution.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Quality man. Just quality.

6. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

It's not my job to find a fix to fix the problem created by the someone was elected to fix the original problem.

You fix me?

Your passive aggressiveness is equal to a bitter coach responding to criticism from writers. It's the 'ok genius, you give me the basics of a box and one and how it applies to our opponent's offense.'

I'm no economicist, like our Prez, but it's my job to point at others failures and laugh.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Python, Perl or C++. :D

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Your job to point and laugh, huh? That tells me all I need to know.

All talk and no action.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Easy solution. Give California back to Mexico.

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

All of which explains the quality of your posts.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Why's it a shock? He's a celebrity after all.

Draft saved Draft deleted