1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gov. Richardson on "This Week"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Apr 15, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Saw part of Gov. Bill Richardson's appearance on "This Week" (with George Stephanopoulos) and he was awful. Richardson ducked and dodged every question I saw.

After stating his plan for Iraq, which includes withdrawal of all US troops by the end of 2007, the question was posed to him "No general believes a full pullout is possible by the end of this year, is there a military person that endorses your plan?" His answer started off "I have a team of military advisers and I believe my plan can work... " Stephanopoulus rephrased the question "Can you tell us the name of one military adviser who endorses your plan?" Richardson's response started off "I believe my plan can work...." and never answered the question.
    On universal health care, each question that was asked about how to provide coverage without raising taxes to cover transition costs or costs to run the program, Richardson gave non-answers or answers that didn't satisfy me at all (using part of the $600 million we're spending in Iraq now, going to all-electronic filing to reduce administrative costs, etc.).
    A friend of a friend who used to work for Gov. Richardson (but moved from New Mexico for another job opportunity) doesn't like the guy. Now after this interview, although he might be qualified, I can say that I'll be looking at other candidates.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

And what an incredibly weak stance from Bill Richardson on Alberto Gonzales and the
    USAs scandal! Richardson said he wants the AG to rattle off some new empty promises and keep on carrying the president's water:

"He would have to say, number one, that I endorse that future U.S. Attorneys
    have to be confirmed by the senate. Number two, he would have to pledge that no
    longer he would be the president's political adivsor, but that he would be the
    law enforcement officer for the nation. Number three, he would have to pledge the
    depoliticization of the Justice department, that he would not take orders from the
    White House on many of these politcal manners."

Sorta sounds to me like what AG said at the senate confirmation hearing two years
    ago where he pledged all these things, and did the exact opposite. But apparently
    Richardson thinks Gonzales being hispanic is a mitigating circumstance. He continued:

"I know the man. He's a good man. He's Hispanic. Somebody that has
    risen up to the top. But at the same time he has got to get more engaged in running
    his department. He is losing credibility. But I'd want to give him this final
    opportunity to demonstrate that if he fulfills those initiatives that I just mentioned,
    that it might bring an effort to clean up that department."

Why is Richardon basically giving a free pass to Gonzales on a matter that directly affected
    1.) The administration of justice in the state where he is governor and 2.) another
    Hispanic man who had risen to the top, only to be unfairly tarnished by the White
    House.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Before the big pile-on, let's talk about Richardson's trip to North Korea this week. He secured the remains of six American soldiers held since the Korean War, and his good relationship with the North Koreans has been the only American diplomatic inroad in getting them to shut down the nuclear reactor.

4. OK, I watched.
    I finally know why he's not getting any traction.

5. WSKY

WSKY Member

This guy has no chance, but isn't he for pot? I like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted