1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gourmet, Modern Bride, Elegant Bride, and Cookie closed by Conde Nast

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bristol Insider, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Not sports, but a hit on the magazine business is a hit on us all. Gourmet is a shocker, given his critical acclaim.
  2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Man, I always figured bridal magazines were the safest ones of all. Wow.
  3. spnited

spnited Active Member

More trouble in the Newhouse empire.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I don't know. In an economy like this, the most obvious example of waste is the $20,000+ wedding.
  5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

The failure of Gourmet is disappointing especially because they were doing some more journalistic articles, straying away from the usual recipe and restaurant fare.

It seemed as though they were improving and expanding, journalistically.
  6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

But people are still getting married and women are still buying dresses. Who knows.

After getting married almost a decade ago, I took all my wife's torn-up bridal mags and sold them on ebay for darn near what she paid. Did seem like a rock-solid marketplace.
  7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I agree the $20K wedding should be out for good, but women still love to window shop, for lack of a better term. There's a friend of ours who wouldn't read a newspaper or a book with a gun to her head, but when she got engaged she cleaned out the bookstores of bridal mags. And she did the wedding on a budget.
Draft saved Draft deleted