1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gotta love the pressroom...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shotglass, Aug 23, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

So, I go over to our press facility (15 minutes from the newsroom) every year to check the football section as it comes off for mistakes.

They tell me yesterday it's running at noon. I call 11 a.m. today, and they tell me no, it's 1:30, because they have to run the comics first. I come in at 1:15, they tell me it'll be about 30 minutes at least.

All the while, I have somewhere I need to be by 2:30.

Every damn year it's like this. Can they NOT follow a schedule?

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

It's deemed "The Daily Miracle" for a reason.

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

Shot: But, did your pressroom give you at least something close to what was supposed to be produced? Our POS gang did a half-ass job on our preview and, as far as I'm concerned, ruined a ton of work by every other department (including one of the very, very rare performances by our ad takers... reps) in the building.

4. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

I'll go one better...
    I have no complaints about the pressroom. Our section looked about as good as they could make it.
    I want to shoot someone in the mailroom...we had a run of around 13,000 today, and I just found out within the last hour that 2,000 copies of our fall tabs weren't inserted into the paper. I'm so mad right now, I can barely see straight.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Colton, 11 hours later and after a good, calming dose of Little League World Series, I'm looking at the section, and the pressroom does make that color hit pretty darn well.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The deal on our football tab is that there's always some problem getting the plates out.

This year, we were hung up for a couple of hours while our vendors tinkered with the system we use to send pages to the platemaker. Meanwhile, I was keen for a nap.

7. Colton

Colton Active Member

Shot: Congrats! Maybe next year we can borrow your press crew.

HejiraHenry: That sucks. Wish we had straight-to-plate technology here, but we're still sending to film, which is then burned to plates.

Draft saved Draft deleted