1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gotta love internet romance

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Nov 28, 2007.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Here's best I can tell.

Man, 48, posed as 18 year old. Killed 22 y/o man because of jealousy over a woman who posed on the internet as an 18 y/o hottie, but was really an middle-aged mom.

Call me old-fashioned but i think it was just easier back in the day trying for drunken bar hook-ups.

http://www.wtop.com/index.php?nid=104&sid=1299793
    By CAROLYN THOMPSON
    Associated Press Writer

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) - A 48-year-old man entangled in an Internet love triangle built largely on lies was sentenced Tuesday to 20 years in prison for killing his rival for the affection of a woman he had never met.

Thomas Montgomery, who posed as an 18-year-old Marine in online chats, pleaded guilty in August to gunning down Brian Barrett, 22, in a parking lot at the suburban Buffalo factory where they worked.

The motive was jealousy, investigators said. Both were involved online with a middle-aged West Virginia mother _ who herself was posing as an 18-year-old student.

Prosecutor Frank Sedita argued for the maximum sentence of 25 years, describing Montgomery's "almost predatory" pursuit of the woman and his resentment of Barrett when she cooled to Montgomery's advances after 1 1/2 years and thousands of pages of Internet chats.

"The chats reveal an obsessive desire to make Brian Barrett suffer," Sedita said.

Barrett, a college student who aspired to be an industrial arts teacher, was shot three times at close range after climbing into his truck at the end of a shift at Dynabrade in Clarence on Sept. 15, 2006. His body was found two days later by a co-worker.

"My wife and I don't understand how this could happen, how such evil could walk the Earth," Barrett's father, Daniel, said at the sentencing hearing. "To gun down a boy over simple jealousy does not make sense to us."

Montgomery's lawyer said fantasy and reality blurred for the then-married father of two teenage daughters, who was involved in his church and was president of his daughters' swim club.

"Until September 2006, this was a man who held his head high," attorney John Nuchereno said. "By September 2006 _ call it an obsession, call it an addiction, call it what you want _ he was suffering from a diminished capacity of some sort."

Montgomery, now divorced, attempted suicide in his jail cell after his arrest. He chose not to speak at his sentencing.

Montgomery began chatting with the woman, identified in court as Mary Sheiler, in 2005. Occasionally, the woman would mail packages to his home. When one of the packages was intercepted by Montgomery's wife, she wrote back, telling Sheiler her husband's true age and saying he was married.

Barrett, whom Montgomery had mentioned in his exchanges, was drawn into the triangle after the woman contacted him online to confirm what she had been told by Montgomery's wife.

Justice Penny Wolfgang called the situation a "consequence of misuse of the Internet."

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wish I could quit you, poindexter.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Only in virtual Buffalo.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Poin's mine, so Lay off. ... Unless, that is, you want to be found in your truck.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They shoulda stuck to this:

[​IMG]

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

So who do you pretend to be on the Internet?

Me? I fancy myself to be the Bus Uncle. ::)

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

How about we call it premeditated first-degree murder, lawyer boy??

Gotta run now, my 19-year-old 38-22-36 Internet sweetie is getting impatient. She can only go without my 22-year-old, 6-5, 235, hung-like-horse, virtual body for so long.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Peoples on the internets: they aren't who we thought they were

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ummmm, yeah.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

OK, I'm back. The Internet sex is getting better and better. :D :D

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

When he gets out, he can pose online as a 38-year-old Marine.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Excellent

Draft saved Draft deleted