1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gotcha! Reporter busts politician who claims NFL experience

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Must've been in the crapper. Don't worry, he'll get 40 licks with the giant wooden paddle at the next midnight meeting in the Masonic Temple.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Delegates in Maryland, especially that part when you're so close to Capitol Hill and the county council is considered a step up, are pretty under the radar. Hell there actually IS a former NFL player in the state house from that area and no one ever mentions him.

3. He's pandering to his base in PG County. While there's a lot of 'Boy fans in DC because they were the first team to integrate, there's still a TON of 'Boy fans here who are fans to stir the pot.

4. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Dave McKenna is the best sportswriter in D.C.

5. I more than respect those in metro DC who are Girl fans because they know the Girls were the first to integrate and the Skins were the last. That I'm more than fine with. But I LOVE screwing with those who are just Girl fans because "They're the Girls! Michael Irvin! Emmitt Smith!"

Sorry, douche. You're a tard.

6. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

The Cowboys weren't the first to integrate. But I understand what you're saying. The amount of front-runner douchebag Cowboy fans in the D.C. area never fails to amaze, and irritate, me. Of course, they'll all tell you they were fans back when the Cowboys went 1-15 and blah blah blah.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Yeah, just need to google him or look up the NFL reference online. The term "investigation" is a little melodramatic.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The Rams and the Cleveland Browns were the first to intergrate in 1946.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

My friend played two football seasons on an SEC team, then transferred in the mid-80s to Fullerton State to finish.
    (Fullerton, BTW, no longer has a football program)
    He was drafted in the late rounds by the Saints and spent time right up to the last preseason cut in their camp.
    Played in four preseason games.

He has always claimed that he used to play for the Saints.
    Is he correct?

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I don't think he is. To me, he'd have to be on the active list for at least one regular season game. Go to NFL.com and type his name in the search engine and see if it shows up.

11. Yes. You said it yourself: "played in four preseason games." Now had he not played in those games, it would be more accurate to say "was with the Saints" or "was in training camp with the Saints."

An aside: One of our deskers was talking about her husband's late grandfather, who family tradition held had played minor league ball. Another desker did a 30-second Internet search and voila! Grandpa played two seasons. Now they have the link to prove it.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

If someone plays for an NFL team -- preseason or regular season -- of course he can say he "played" for the team. Chances are, when people ask you about it, you'll explain. And if not, oh well. But that could be an awkward conversation.

"I met so and so when I played for the Saints."
    "You played for the Saints?"
    "Yup."
    "Cool...so is it supposed to rain tonight?"

Draft saved Draft deleted