1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gotcha! Reporter busts politician who claims NFL experience

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There are tons of guys who make similar claims who use that to have successful car dealerships or jobs as realtors. I know of one guy who had "former Bears player" in his ad in the phone book and he was in training camp for three days and another who claimed to have played for a NFL team who spent a week with a team as a scab in 1987 and wasn't on the roster for a single game.

2. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

That's different, nobody expects a car dealer to tell the truth, politicians aren't supposed to lie until AFTER they take office.

Then again, I'm not sure I'd go buy a car from somebody just because they claimed to be a professional athlete, or a house for that matter.

3. Nobody's making the guy out to be Bernstein, but he was the first guy to check out the claim rather than acccept it.

Fixed for Moddy

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

So he's the acception to the rule??

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Strange. Just read an article about Charlie Rangel which starts with the words, "Democratic Congressman." How did that writer miss the memo?

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, he did it the right way.

But, when it's missing, you can bet it's a Dem.

I wasn't wrong in this case was I?

7. YankeeFan

As soon as I read it, I knew Moddy would be right there with the correction.

I know it makes me double check my posts. (Which doesn't always work.)

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Who cares. You obviously found the one exception that you believe proves the memo is widespread.

9. How many other paper's did you read the news the guy made up the claim?
    The guy has been in the state house since 2003. Nobody checked until now. So yeah, I guess he is the exception.
    Smartass.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I except your explanation - and yeah, it isn't Watergate stuff but at least someone bothered to check. Should be routine, as someone noted earlier.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It should be routine, accept all too often it isn't.

12. YankeeFan

Lots of people care. Journalists should care.

And the problem is that there isn't a memo. It's a mindset.

Draft saved Draft deleted