1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gotcha! Reporter busts politician who claims NFL experience

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 11, 2010.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Does it really require an "investigation" to figure out if a guy played for the Dallas Cowboys or not?

It's like newspapers citing an "investigation" to "discover" how much public officials are paid. It's public record.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So stupid. I don't know why politicians do this kind of thing.

It's so easy to prove true or false, and there's nowhere to go when you're proven a liar.

BTW, I noticed that the article does not mention his party affiliation.

So, I can only assume he's a Democrat.

Yep, a Democrat: http://www.msa.md.gov/msa/mdmanual/06hse/html/msa13965.html

If he were a Republican, it would have been in the lede.

Maybe Bill Richardson can give him some pointers on how to minimize this & other ethical problems and still have a successful political career.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It's funny because it is true.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Buster O'Brien ran for AG or maybe governor or something years ago in Va., claimed to be a former Redskin.
    I believe he was, if getting cut in training camp qualifies. State papers had some fun with that and he got his ass kicked in the election.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Technically Moddy, he was a member of the Skins. If he stepped out on the field and trained with them, at that time, he was a member of the Skins. I know, I know, he didn't make the final roster, but still....

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Once again you're hunting for liberal bias... btw where he reps, there are NO Republicans in any office anywhere. You have to go to the next county over to find one.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

C'mon. It's not that hard to say, "the Maryland Democrat," or, "the Maryland Republican."

It's standard to identify any elected official by his party affiliation, isn't it?

I don't think it matters that an area might be predominantly represented by one party or the other. Not every reader is going to know that -- certainly not every reader who reads it on Yahoo! Sports.

The official should be identified by party affiliation regardless of whether it's a positive news story, a negative one, or somewhere in between.

To not do so indicates laziness, or bias. You choose which one it is. Neither is good.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It was misleading at best and he got hammered for it. As he should have.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The politician was an idiot but let's not make this reporter out to be the next Carl Bernstein. You can find out whether someone played in the NFL in 2 minutes on the computer or one phone call to that team's media relations department.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

neener neener

it's all part of the plan

Draft saved Draft deleted