1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Got your Christmas lights up yet?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Dec 2, 2006.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Mine have to be up by Army-Navy Saturday, house rules.

A neighbor had his up the Saturday right after TG. He has a friendly competition with another neighbor to see who gets his lights up first.

I actually like Christmas lights, they brighten up a pretty gloomy time of the year in Microville and it's nice to see my entire street lit up when you come home at 5:30 and it's pitch-black.

2. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

I bought a little $6 tree that sits on a shoebox next to my TV, so that's nice. [/single guy]

Also, the folks across the street have a nice little display up, and they usually leave 'em burning most of the night, which makes coming home at midnight in a not-all-that-familiar city a little nicer.
    [/sappy single guy]

3. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Fiancee had 'em up in FULL FORCE after American Thanksgiving. She's a Christmas nut.

They look great though.

4. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

I have Ol' Fakey up and decorated and a wreath (that made me break out in hives, goddamned skin allergies) on the door. Nothing outside though. Just not that ambitious in my little apartment.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Mine were up before the day before Thanksgiving (only because that was my day off that week), but not turned on until the day after.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Put up a couple strings on either Dec. 15, or the day of the first decent snow.

A few more the Friday/Saturday before Christmas.

Whole-hog with the tree, the window lights, and the lights along the deck on Christmas Eve.

Take 'em down in reverse order, on Jan. 1, the first Saturday/Sunday of the new year, and leave a few strings up until the Twelfth Day of Christmas.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

None for me yet, but three of my neighbors have such large yard displays that my electricity is dimming.

9. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

If I had a house and not some small-ass apartment you can't see from the road, they'd have been up Dec. 1 and would be gone Jan. 2.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

People who get anal about taking Christmas lights down on Dec. 26 (and some do) aren't No. 1 on my shit list, but they're in the top 500. ;) ;)

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

went up on day after T-giving, will probably go down on the 26th... not my rules...

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Slight threadjack, but not really. Which lights do you use? the multicolor ones, all white, or all blue (I think that covers them all)?

The only ones I can't stand would be the all blue strands. Makes it look too gloomy.

Draft saved Draft deleted