1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Got my first set of orders

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Mar 18, 2007.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I guess today's as good a day as any to break the news. Several people have asked about my status, so, here it is.

As most of you know, I'll finish school in late June and commission as a lieutenant into the Army's Medical Service Corps. I'm licking the stamp today on an application packet to submit to the Medical Service Corps' annual meeting of the flight selection board, a group of senior officers who are MEDEVAC pilots. The application has to reach the board by April, the board meets in May, and the results are released in early June. They traditionally choose about 20 (with five alternates), and, normally, 25 to 35 new lieutenants and warrant officers apply. The chances look pretty good. If selected, I'll report to flight school in January-ish.

If I'm not selected, I'll be heading to Ft. Benning, Ga., assigned to 3rd Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division. The 3rd ID is a mechanized (heavy) division, meaning it employs tanks and other mechanized fighting vehicles. If not chosen to fly, I will report in early January as a plain-old medical platoon leader in one of the battalions (infantry) or squadrons (armored, or tanks). Although I have some medical training, I will not be a medic, but a manager of medics, ensuring they are properly trained, properly equipped and in the right places at the right time. A medical platoon consists of about 25 medics, a physician and a phyician's assistant.

We, meaning Mrs. TBF and I, had hoped for an overseas duty station, but I guess the Benning assignment is a blessing in disguise -- we can cut our wartime teeth while close to home and in a pretty good area.

2. Congrats, T_B_F, and Godspeed. Question -- if the Cubs make the World Series while you're on active duty, will you go AWOL? ;D

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Best wishes dude, may the wind be at your back.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Thanks for your service and good luck.

I want that head so sanitary and squared-away that the Virgin Mary herself would be proud to go in and take a dump.

5. three_bags_full

If I'm this side of the Pond, you bet.

6. three_bags_full

With 11 years as an enlisted soldier, I have a PhD in the sanitary arts.

7. Then I'll see you there. :D

8. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

TBF, thank you for the service both to country and to your fellow soldiers. Your duty to the latter will bring them safety and you satisfaction and joy. Appreciate though, that nobody will ever want to see you, but will be greatful that you are there when needed.

Safe travels.

9. three_bags_full

Thanks for the kind words, Doc, everyone.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Good luck, TBF, and make sure you stock up on cheesy things for when your wife gets homesick.

11. three_bags_full

Cheesy things are on the "to-pack" list.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Wishing you all the best. Stay out of harm's way.

Draft saved Draft deleted