1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Got blood?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hacksaw2828, Sep 10, 2009.

1. hacksaw2828

hacksaw2828 Member

I just would like to encourage everyone to donate blood over the next few days to your local blood banks in memory of Sept. 11. I don't have money for charities so I donate as a way to help other people in a way that money can't. You might even save a life, maybe someone you know. It's easy and only takes a couple of minutes, a brief physical, registration and a questionaire. For those of you out of work, please donate. It might even make you feel better about yourself knowing you are still an important part of society even though things look tough at the moment. For those of you in the Richmond Va area, right now if you donate to Virginia Blood Services, you get a $5 gift card to Qdoba's, buy 1 get 1 free ticket to the Richmond Spiders home game against Hofstra and cheap tickets to the State Fair. So get out and donate and take in a football game for a great cause.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thanks, hacksaw. I give every three months.

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Good reminder - I haven't donated in years. At last count, I was over a gallon of my universal donor lifejuice, then I just got busy.

4. KG

KG Active Member

The last few times I've tried to donate, my iron was too low. I've been trying to eat foods with a higher iron content so I can get back to regular donating. I have CMV blood, whatever that stands for, which means I haven't had some common virus and my blood can go to cancer patients and babies.

5. KG

KG Active Member

Wait, I think that's CMV negative.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I give every two months. I absolutely urge everyone to do that little bit. Plus you can sometimes build up quite a decent collection of free t-shirts for your wardrobe. But absolutely do it.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

8. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

While you're at it, register to be a bone marrow donor. And, please......please be an organ donor. If you need your liver in heaven (or hell), blame me.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I gave at the office. Really, my office regularly has blood drives. They also call me, because I'm O-Negative, the universal donor. Except I can only receive O-Neg. Now that doesn't seem fair.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Used to give blood, but the Red Cross black-listed me a few years back for reasons it never actually explained.

Is it possible to get back in the RC's good graces?

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty easy, just give up needles and anal sex.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I definitely echo the organ donation message. My dad was a kidney transplant recipient and I can't even begin to describe how life-changing it was for him. He could have stayed on dialysis indefinitely, but getting a new kidney was amazing for him.

Draft saved Draft deleted