1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Got a job, but I need your help

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by the_rookie, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

i'd say go to school, but i am still astonished as to Brock's post. how do you really feel man?

2. Brock Landers

Brock Landers New Member

It was my first-ever post here after months of lurking ... I wanted to make it memorable.

3. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

If you don't go to college...you could be the next Brock Landers ;D

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Excellent post. Go to school and write for the school paper or string for the local paper near your school. After that, you may not have to start at the very bottom, which is what this weekly job represents.

5. Rookie - go to college, have promiscuous, unprotected sex as a freshman and cover golf, have more promiscuous, unprotected sex as a sophomore and cover women's volleyball (where, if you're lucky, you'll have promiscuous, unprotected sex with the setter), find a girlfriend and have unpromiscuous, protected sex with her as a junior and cover men's basketball, break up with your girlfriend and have promiscuous, unprotected sex again and cover football.

Get your degree become a sportswriter for a living and never have promiscuous, unprotected sex again.

6. Dessens71

Dessens71 Member

This thread reminds me of the scene in Billy Madison where Billy comes back to visit Miss Vaughn's class after he has gone to high school and the little fat kid tells him he can't wait until he gets to high school.
    "Don't you say that. Don't you ever say that. Stay here. Stay here as long as you can. For the love of God, cherish it. You have to cherish it."

You guys are all operating under the assumption that college is great (because when you were in college, you drank beer and met girls and grew into a man or something) and jobs suck (because your job sucks).
    I'm sure there are plenty of people who had shitty college experiences and loved their first jobs.
    So it could go either way. Keep your options open, kid. That's my only advice.

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

Based on the details, there is absolutely nothing to support a decision not to go to college. You don't know enough about sports and you don't know enough about writing and you don't know enough about asking questions.

Your experience at this place will be very limited - it's a small weekly, for crying out loud. If you would make this decision, you just aren't very smart. In addition to everything else, you are going far away to somewhere where you don't know anybody and don't have any people to support you.

Your sister says take a chance. You don't put all of your money on a 100 to 1 shot.

I think you know this isn't the right decision. There will be weekly papers after you go to college, but hopefully you will do better.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If this is the rookie I'm thinking of (and we have several of them on here), he's an incredible writing for a teenager, far too good to be wasting talent of that level at a small weekly.

I wasn't all that strong in pushing college last night, but go. You're good now, you could be great with the right education and professors. Plus small towns and bad hours = really terrible social life.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Gold has a good point, rookie.

You aren't really taking a chance, because the chance to work at a weekly far from home will always be there.

The opportunity to go to school fades the longer you put it off.

And you can easily go to school and write for a paper in some fashion. If this is a small town, it may be hard for you to take classes while you are working there.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hell, I'm one of "those people."

But I say this with all sincerity, rookie: go to school.

If you hate it, you can always find something else. Or keep hating it until you get your degree. And then get the hell outta there, and never look back.

Or you could love it.

Either way, you're not going to get much -- money, experience, social life, et al -- out of a 5K weekly. That's not taking a chance so much as it is shooting yourself in the foot.

Go to school and keep your options open. You've got your whole life ahead of you.

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Brock brings up a very valid point, though ... double-major if you can. I know I regret not doing that.

Journalism and business would be a great combo ... if you want to be in journalism, business writing has plenty of opportunities ... and you could always fall back on a career in business. That's a great option to have in your back pocket.

12. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

It is possible to have a long and rewarding career without a degree but, you most likely will run into an opportunity that would be easier for you to get if you had your degree.

The minute that you think that you don't need that degree, something will pop up that interests you, but you aren't eligible for because you are missing that piece of paper.

It is that simple. Gamble if you wish.

Draft saved Draft deleted