1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gore wins Nobel Peace Prize, Oscar and Emmy in a single year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And Federer and Woods thought they had a good year. Holy crap. Nice hat trick Al.

(CNN) -- Former U.S. Vice President Al Gore and the U.N.'s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change have won the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize for their work raising awareness about global warming.
    Film and TV projects associated with Al Gore have won two Oscars and an Emmy award.
    The Nobel committee cited them "for their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change."
    The IPCC and Gore will each receive a gold medal, a diploma and a share of $1.5 million. The award ceremony will be held December 10 in Oslo, Norway.
    "Through the scientific reports it has issued over the past two decades, the IPCC has created an ever-broader informed consensus about the connection between human activities and global warming," Ole Danbolt Mjoes, chairman of the Nobel committee, said in making the announcement.
    "Thousands of scientists and officials from over 100 countries have collaborated to achieve greater certainty as to the scale of the warming."
    The Nobel committee praised Gore as being "one of the world's leading environmentalist politicians."
    He is probably the single individual who has done most to create greater worldwide understanding of the measures that need to be adopted," said Mjoes
    Gore collected two Oscars earlier this year for his documentary, "An Inconvenient Truth," which followed him on a worldwide tour publicizing the dangers of climate change.
    Last month he also picked up an Emmy -- the highest award in U.S. television -- for "Current TV." The show, which Gore co-created, describes itself as a global television network that gives its viewers the opportunity to create and influence its programming.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Damn. Good for Gore.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what has bush won this year?

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

There is still one win that he needs to.... we all need him to... nab late next year.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Next time I'm feeling really down about not getting the girl, the job or something else I had my heart set on, I'm going to think of Gore. I can only think of how disappointed he was after 2000 election and the crap he continued to get for gaining weight, growing a beard etc., putting on those slide shows at East Bumf*ck Community College while Bush's approval rating was at 75 or higher and the country was sliding toward war. He could have just withdrawn from it all and said screw it. But he found something he was passionate about and kept plugging away at it. I think regardless of the politics, his efforts should be saluted.

6. But is he good enough for the Plain Dealer?
    Congrats to the last elected president of the United States.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Tremendous quickie, Dan-O.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

That's a lot of honors for one guy to get just for, essentially, standing there and not being George W. Bush.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Boom just had a brain hemmorhage and doesn't even know why.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Good for Al Gore. That's one hell of an accomplishment.

Now if he could only convince the idiots in Washington to actually do something constructive toward helping solve this problem.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

prove it you sonuvabitch [/bush]

12. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Big deal. He can't even win his home state.

Bush 1,056,480
    Gore 977,789

"It was Nader's fault. Waaahhh." Suck failure, freaks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.