1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gore Vidal: I Knew JFK, & Believe Me--Obama Is the Better Leader

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, May 20, 2008.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

I knew JFK, says Gore Vidal, and believe me Obama’s the better leader
    Gore Vidal, the writer and long-time Clinton supporter, tells why Hillary is insane to keep on fightingMelvyn Bragg
    At 82, Gore Vidal has reached an enviable position: he is an influential man of letters, a political activist, a scion of the New World aristocracy and a friend of the powerful and famous, including the Clintons.

So what does he think of Hillary Clinton’s stated intention to fight on to the bitter end for the Democratic presidential nomination? The reply is instant and searing: “I think her strategy is more or less insane.”

He continues: “I’d always rather liked her. She’s a perfectly able lawyer . . . But this long campaign, this daily search for the grail, has driven her crazy.”

In his view Barack Obama has won; During the Clinton administration, Vidal admired Bill’s understanding of the poor and of black people. His devotion to the Clintons has now been laid aside, however. By clinging on to her campaign, waiting for the small chance that Obama will make a terminal mistake, Hillary has crossed a line, he believes.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article3952774.ece

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Hmmm...read the story and I really didn't see much from Vidal that indicates he thinks Obama is "the better leader." Maybe it's just semantics, but I don't agree with that supposition.

3. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Vidal nails McCain to the wall though...

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

And Clinton....

so a more apt headline on that site, AND here, would be Gore Vidal: Clinton and McCain are toast?

5. And Vidal is relevant how?

If you've read his books - the guy portrays George Washington as an iffy leader. George Washington! I've enjoyed reading Vidal but I can remember being in high school reading one of his books and about half-way through thinking "whoa - did I read that right? Did that guy just fuck another guy in the ass?" He'd throw them in out of nowhere.

I'm guessing that Vidal prefers Obama because Obama has a penis.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

A-fucking-men.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'm not a big Vidal fan.

But his quotes in that story are dead-on, from beginning to end. Every step.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

And take a wide stance.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

His What I've Learned in this month's Esquire was pretty entertaining.

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Vidal's brilliant but he has a big hate-on for the Kennedy family that has colored his thinking for a long time, now.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

He may be right, but if he is it's damning Obama with faint praise.

Draft saved Draft deleted