1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gore endorses Obama

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jun 16, 2008.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/06/16/gore-endorses-obama/

Okay, maybe Obama has to smile pretty for the cameras and hold upraised hands with Al. But inside, don't you think there's a twinge of: "Bleep you Al ... where was this three months ago? I don't need your fat ass now. You need me."

It's not like Gore had a choice now. Was he going to endorse McCain?

Just a thought.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Or it could be that Obama is genuinely happy to have the support.

Not everything is as bleak as you make it.

3. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

There was zero chance - zero - that Al Gore was going to endorse a Democratic candidate before the end of the primary process.

Why would he do that and potentially piss off a portion of the base? Gore is the most popular man in Democratic politics and maybe national politics in general.

4. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

If he could have been that eight years ago, maybe things would have turned out differently.....

5. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Chicken-and-egg argument.

Gore is so popular right now precisely because of how fucked up the last eight years have been.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

In part, yes. But he also gained his voice after being bitch-slapped for the better part of 2000 and 2001.
    He came back very strong, and he'll likely be a power broker in the party for years to come.

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

And it doesn't hurt that he cut that gross-ass beard off either.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I know more Democrats than Republicans, actually (especially within my own family) and I don't think Al is popular with them. They're pretty bitter about the 2000 election, naturally, but they assign almost as much blame to Gore for blowing a three-touchdown lead after the convention, then pulling off brilliant little gems like losing his home state.

9. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Well, there's the iron-clad proof there.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Dammit, he won his home state — DC.
    Doesn't anyone remember the coverage?
    Gore was a carpetbagging son of a senator raised in a plush DC hotel and going to the best private schools. He had no more connection to Tennessee than I do.
    Until he lost Tennessee and cost him the election and suddenly it became that loser Gore couldn't even win his home state — Tennessee.
    I think and will always think that the 2000 election will be studied by school children for decades, if not centuries.
    It will become a chicken and egg style question, how do you win an election and still lose. Like calling the edge in a coin flip.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Gore needs Obama?

Loon.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I just love it when people make things up without any research other than a foggy memory.

Here is Gore's "three-touchdown lead" in the polls immediately following the convention:

ABC/WAPO: Gore 48-44
    CBS: Gore 45-44
    Reuters: Gore 44-41
    CNN/Gallup: Gore 47-46

Draft saved Draft deleted