1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gore, Clinton or Obama for President?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 8, 2008.

?

Gore, Clinton or Obama for President?

1. Al Gore

32.7%
  2. Hillary Clinton

12.2%
  3. Barack Obama

55.1%
  1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Please tell me what Gore risked. His reputation?

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

First, he WAS nationally excoriated for about two years.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Nationally excoriated? WTF does that mean.
    He is a former vice president and failed (although he really won) presidential candidate. He vanished from the limelight for awhile, then came back with his global warming stuff and made a splash.

He risked absolutely nothing becuase he had nothing to lose.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Well, he actually has a lot to lose by not running.

Yesterday at CPAC, Tom DeLay said, "It's arrogant for anyone to think man could have an effect on climate."

The conservatives continue to deny, deny, deny we've got a problem here. The sentiment expressed by DeLay is so far afield from everything Gore's worked for the past however-many years. If that mentality sweeps into the White House and Congress in November, Al's lost quite a bit.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I agree with this, Lugs, though it's about a completely different matter. He DOES have something to lose if a Republican is elected.

All the more reason for him to endorse and work for the Democrat he feels has the best chance. But he's in a tough position there, too. I mean, the fact that he hasn't endorsed yet means he surely isn't in love with HRC. I would think that if he stays on the sidelines through the convention and HRC wins, wouldn't she view that as a rebuke, if not an outright betrayal? By all accounts, the two families remain friends. Surely Hillary thinks that Gore owes the Clintons something. I don't know if he really can stay out of it completely. But, I guess, we'll see.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I don't know where the two families are now. There was acrimony when they left Washington.

On 9/11 Gore was stranded in Canada, I think? Anyway, he called up Bill and drove down to Chappaqua, and apparently, they made up. But a lot of time has passed since then.

To her credit, Hillary seems to be talking more about the climate crisis than Obama does.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

There was a lot of acrimony from Bill when Gore essentially told him he didn't want him campaigning for him in 2000, but, yeah, I think they have made up since then. I just have to think, knowing what we know about how both Clintons operate, that they will view anything less than a full endorsement from Gore before this thing is decided as a complete betrayal. But maybe not. I'm really guessing.

And both Obama and Clinton have climate change in the stump speech.

8. Yes. Gore -- Nobel winner, Oscar winner.
    Fred -- Law and Order DA, public somnabulist.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Don't forget Fen:

Gore: One of the hardest-working, most wonkish senators ever, and, whether you want to say he created or invented it, he was the guy who had to forsight to see that the Internet was something the government should invest in. Also, as Veep, was in charge reccomending how to trim the massive amount of waste in the federal government through the National Performance Review.

The Fred: One of the laziest senators ever. His lasting legacy is that he supported Clinton during impeachment.

Let's call it a tie.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

We are not ready to project Obama the winner yet but with 58% of the vote and Gore 33% that is a pretty solid lead.

If SJ is an indication of how the country feels then Gore won't be coming back from the private sector.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Not that you asked me, of course, but I would vote for her before the other two.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This is like being asked to choose between Larry, Moe or Curly.
    And, unfortunately, was inspired by eight years of Shemp.

Draft saved Draft deleted