1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gorby tells it like it is

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=2182020&page=1

Not finding much to disagree with.

2. Well, it's been four hours, and this one hasn't gotten hideously ugly.
    We may have dodged a bullet here, folks.

3. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

Whew, I feel complete now that I have Gorby's take

4. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Oh fuck it. Russia sucks.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

To paraphrase one of my favorite writers, P.J. O'Rourke, Gorby presided over the fall of communism much in the same way Hirohito presided over the fall of Japan when the big one hit Hiroshim and Nagasaki. To give Gorbachov credit for ending the Cold War is like giving the loser of a 70-0 football game credit for ending the game because the clock ran out when they were in possession. We WON the Cold War. Totalitariianism in the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe (it was never communism in the strictest sense) collapsed because it was an evil, morally bankrupt system that killed millions, enslaved even more and denied the basics of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Gorby was just the poor sap who was at the rudder when that ship ran aground.

And he's bitching because we have a "winner's complex?" Hey, tough shit. I'm tired of apologizing because we're the only superpower left (and were the only superpower back in the Cold War, because they had a system built on ideologial smoke and mirrors).

Blow me Gorby.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

To give Reagan the credit for ending the Cold War is like giving the backup quarterback credit for winning the big game because he took the kneel down. He DID NOT WIN the Cold War.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Who said anything about Reagan?

8. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

Revisionist history rant in 5...4....3....2....

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

This is fun, can we play too?

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It might have been Monica who took that kneel down.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Bullshit.
    Your Cold-War winners: Reagan, Thatcher, Pope John Paul II. You could look it up.

12. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Oh, for the love of God, surely we're not so partisan that we can't give credit where credit's due.

Reagan played a huge role in ending the Cold War. Bottom line. You can't argue that, really. Yeah, some other shit happened and all, but come on, the guy was in office, he did some good stuff. I've got no problem with giving him some credit.

Same as no one else here should have a problem giving Clinton credit for the economy of the 90s. Was he in the right place at the right time to get some good help? Absolutely. But he was also smart enough to do some good things, not do some dumb things and poke that economy along.

Give em both credit.

And really, I see no need in pulling out the Gorby card at this point and time. Come on now. Fredo's breaking a law a week and has more scandals in the air right now than most presidents had in full terms. I think we can handle this shit in-house.

Draft saved Draft deleted