1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GOP Youtube Debate Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

I agree that it's wide open on both sides, but I'm amazed so many outlets are giving the Dem. nomination to HRC. Of registered Democrats I know, none consider her their favorite candidate by any stretch. I wonder where these insurmountable numbers are coming from.

2. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

She's going to take the NH primary.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Uh huh.

I agree with Zeke and Fenian (first time I ever typed that) that Huckabee looked and acted the part very well tonight. And is it just me, or does he have some of the same mannerisms and ease about him that Clinton did?

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Brian Williams was only joking when he said this on SNL, but he all but called HRC the candidate we want to win. Wonder if there IS some truth to that.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Actually, Zogby is now running online polls that are total hogwash and claiming they are scientifically valid and the newsies are lapping it up. I don't see how anyone could watch with any regularity the treatment that HRC has received and suggest that there's a media bias in her favor.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Huckabee had the best answers, the question on the Bible, space exploration.
    Romney always seems to want to check with other people before stating a position on an issue.
    McCain actually got the audience too turn from pro-torture to anti-torture with his response.
    Fred Thompson doesn't seem to understand why he's there, but I did like his shot across the bow that Giuliani shouldn't be criticizing anyone for who they have working for them referring to Kerik.
    Giuliani seemed pretty befuddled. But overall the debate was about the standbys, God, Guns and Gays, and G'immigration.

7. Point of Order

And as for the GOP debate:

1. The "Draft Fred" people, and you know who you are, should be ashamed. This is what we call cognitive dissonance in the marketing world. Fred wanted to be drafted into the presidential race about as much as George W. Bush wanted to be drafted and sent to Vietnam.

2. Rudy didn't look very comfortable. Maybe it was the news that just came out about New York City paying for his adulterous trysts in The Hamptons, or maybe it was the knowledge that there's plenty more scandal where that came from, but he didn't look great.

3. Romney had his nuts cut out (figuratively since McCain doesn't go torture) by John McCain on the torture question. The rest of the debate for him was standard Romney: tell 'em what you think they wanna hear.

4. McCain has fought back better than I ever expected him to, but you can tell he's too far out of the race to get the nomination and he knows it. He's playing for pride now and saying what he thinks. I can respect that.

5. Ron Paul is like a bad-tasting elixir being forced down the frontrunners' throats. Surely he is funded by Democrats just hoping to keep him in the race as long as possible.

6. Tom Tancredo, really? This guy is still in the race? Even after the generic-Muslim-crosses-the-Mexican-American-border-and-blows-up-a-shopping-mall-wth-a-nuke ad? This guy makes Kucinich look presidential.

7. Doesn't Duncan Hunter have a visitation appointment with Duke Cunningham to talk defense strategy?

8. I've watched Mike Huckaby on the campaign trail for a long time now and he is so consistent you could set your watch by him. His debate performance reminded my of a great line from Big Dan Teague (played by John Goodman) to Delmar in O' Brother Where Art Thou?: "You don't say much my friend, but when you do it's to the point, and I salute you for it."

Right now I think it's obviously a three-way horse race between Mitt, Mike and Rudy. Rudy is fading down the stretch while Mitt is holding a steady pace. Huckaby is charging from the rear but I think there might too much ground to make up. Romney is in the best position right now, followed by Rudy.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The GOP candidates really assume they'll be running against Hillary, I can say that much.

I don't know if Democratic voters are going to give them their wish.

9. Point of Order

That's Madam President to you! :D

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I really think Huckabee gives the GOP their best shot at winning. The ethics problems he supposedly has pales in comparison to the Clintons problems. And speaking of problems, CNN really screwed the pooch giving so much time to that Clinton plant. Nice vetting folks, so much for the best political team in the business. Didn't they think that a loaded question like this - cross-checking the GOP's love of the military with their anti-gay stance - would need to be bullet-proof? Wow. I think a few people are on the unemployment line tonight.

11. I don't know, Dan.
    It was pretty good TV.

12. Point of Order

[quote author=DanOregon And speaking of problems, CNN really screwed the pooch giving so much time to that Clinton plant. Nice vetting folks, so much for the best political team in the business.
    [/quote]

Glad you brought this up. Do they think just by saying something over and over a lot that it makes it true? That best political team shit really gets on my nerves.

Draft saved Draft deleted