1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GOP Youtube Debate Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I only caught the end. But who knew that the Romeny family were long-suffering Red Sox fans until 2004 when they finally won the World Series?! What with those deeply entrenched Michigan roots and all.

McCain totally sidestepped the question about gays in the military, apparently having no good answer.

Romney tried to dodge the question about the appropriateness of the confederate flag, but in the end said it didn't belong anywhere. Fred Thompson tried to be as diplomatic as possible without upsetting any of his fellow stars and bars-ers.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Mike Huckabee is a hell of a politician.

John McCain is the only one up there with a coherent ideology. Well, Ron Paul's is coherent to him, I suppose.

Giuliani answered every single question by talking about New York. I don't know if that will work for him.

Fred Thompson is a joke. Just a flat-out joke. He's Kuccinich with money.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Romney totally sidestepped the question about gays in the military, too. They're all gutless.

FWIW, it's also the first bit of debate I've watched at all this year. If I watched much of any Dem debate I'd probably skewer them as well.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That's only the second GOP debate I have watched, but Huckabee impressed me before, too.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Why isn't there a GOP Debate Thread?

Wait ...

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I remember when Mitt Romney ran against Ted Kennedy in the early '90s and he had an ad where he talked about the day he moved into the state, driving on the Mass. Pike in a UHaul with his wife. He tried to make it sound like he started with almost nothing, like he had such humble beginnings.
    And everytime I saw that ad, I thought of the beginning of Head Office when Eddie Albert was flying over Chicago in a helicopter saying "Look at this, when I got here, I had just $50 million in my pocket and now this is all mine."

7. Huckabee was the only president on that stage. That slap at Mitt about how Huck paid for college was agreat moment.
    Rudy looked terrible and sounded worse.
    That said, the pandering to the audience on immigration scared the hell out of me.

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Hillary plants question in Republican debate

UPDATE: In the final seconds of the post-debate coverage, Anderson Cooper acknowledges that CNN messed this up and states that CNN did not know that Kerr has a position within the Clinton campaign and that had they known, they would have disclosed the association.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I could swear I heard Rudy change positions in mid-answer on a gun control question.

10. The only thing he's ever done that I unabashedly support was his knucking the southern gun dealers for pumping weapons north along the I95 corridor, and he's running headlong away from it now.
    As for General Kerr, well, is there something wrong with the question?

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I just thought it was funny.

I'm finding it difficult to get worked up about the election this soon.

12. A perfectly reasonable attitude.
    For political junkies, though, a wideopen primary race on both sides is like Halley's Comet.

Draft saved Draft deleted