1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GOP VP thread: Palin is the pick

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: GOP VP thread: So who will McCain name today?

I think a lot of people think that if it weren't for his messed up daughter and wife, he would have been the Bush on the ticket in 2000.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

REALLY agree. Transparent and weak.

3. sg86

sg86 Member

Why in the hell would Palin or her office say anything OTHER THAN that she's still in Alaska? I mean do people expect her office to say "We cannot discuss Gov. Palin's chances of being named VP, but we CAN tell you she's on a plane to Ohio."

The tracked flight and comment from the airport guy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>some stupid call made by a reporter to the governor's office in Alaska.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The above post I would have to agree with.

5. sg86

sg86 Member

Disagree, any fence-sitting family can identify with Palin much more than Obama, Biden or McCain. McCain and Biden are too old for most modern families to identify. Obama being black makes him less identifiable to many. Palin is a mid-forties white woman with kids who play sports and yadda yadda. She's the most identifiable of the four.

And to think that women would automatically vote for another woman would be a really dumb idea - if it weren't so true. I saw so many Clinton rallies in Ohio filled with feminists saying women need more power, women have long been alienated, women deserve to hold prominent positions. Obviously not all women will vote this way, but I bet there are more than you think who would give their vote to McCain-Palin just because she's a woman.

6. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Then McCain/Palin is deliberately lying to at least two major news networks. That's not exactly the smartest way to get positive press for your campaign.

7. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Why is that a stupid question? Makes sense to me. And why is it suddenly OK and accepted for government staff to blatantly lie? They have to have a better answer than a flat-out lie for that question. Even a non-answer answer like what she's scheduled to do that day would be better

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You mean they're acting the same way every college and pro team do during any coaching search?

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Let's ask the Mondale/Ferraro campaign.

I don't doubt there's a small percentage of women who vote gender over all else, but the move itself--selecting a relative unknown female--is such an obvious attempt to pander to that vote; it diminishes whatever value she can actual bring to the ticket.

The VP selection is the first presidential decision a candidate makes, and this one (if true) smacks of politics instead of leadership.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Heavyweight seventh post.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

God, I hope it's Lieberman. McCain-Lieberman gets its ass kicked hard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.