1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GOP VP thread: Palin is the pick

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Politico is reporting that Gov. Tim Pawlenty will be going to the Minn. State Fair today and not Ohio for Sen. McCain's VP selection rally.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanmartin/0808/BREAKING_Pawlenty_wont_be_in_Dayton_today_says_was_honored_to_be_considered.html

Some people apparently tracked a private flight from Anchorage to Dayton last night. They say it could mean Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin may be the pick. Not wanting to dispute that, but wouldn't Palin be flying in from Juneau?

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Re: GOP VP thread: So who will McCain name today?

I'm very impressed that it hasn't leaked, especially last night on Obama's night.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Don't know about the VP, but they're considering delaying the convention:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/28/AR2008082803165.html?nav%3Dhcmodule&sub=AR

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Two-fer.... funny.
    ----------

Former White House spokesman Scott McClellan, who said in a recent book that Hurricane Katrina left "an indelible stain" on the Bush presidency, said Bush should be making plans to cancel his speech.

"If it's a major hurricane, I think that they certainly need to show they learned lessons from three years ago, both from a policy and perception standpoint," McClellan said.

He also suggested that McCain could benefit politically from such a scenario: It would allow Bush to mount an effective GOP response to a disaster, while removing the unpopular president from the convention roster. "It could be a two-fer," McClellan said.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Romney.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Having read a bit about Palin, I'd be very impressed if McCain picked her. My only question is if she is ready for it. Going from governing Alaska to two months in the national spotlight on a rocket ship is asking a lot. She would tie in nicely with McCain on the issues and take the GOP in a bold new direction. The downside, it would be a pretty big FU to a wide swath of the party who don't think she's paid her dues.

7. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

It would also put the Hillary supporters back in play for McCain.

8. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Keep telling yourself that.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I know very little about Palin, other than her press seems to be very positive. But if he picks her, how can McCain claim on one hand that Obama doesn't have the experience to do the job when his number 2 would have even less time in a senior government position?

10. Simon_Cowbell

VP is a different animal, I think.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Not Romney: MSNBC

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Holy smoke, so it's either Palin or Lieberman.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.