1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GOP: Still looking out for the little guy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Heard this on NPR tonite, dug it up:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/22/AR2008072202838.html

The kind of shit that made me switch parties years ago. So, screw the poor schlub working man who may well work in unsafe conditions, in favor of the white collars manning the plantation. And, to top it off, we'll try to do it in secret, too.
    Sometimes, it befuddles me why some blue collars are avid GOPers. The party clearly doesn't give a shit about them.

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Because they're snowed under a bunch of right-wing crap about "Defense of Marriage" and "Get them there before they get here" and other such crap. Basically, the Republicans make them scared.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

To me, there are two groups who are generally for the Republicans. The wealthy elite group and the religious right group. You might have a blue collar worker who doesn't like getting screwed, but votes Republican because the candidate is against abortion, for instance. The same goes for a wealthy liberal who vote for the Democratic candidate, who, even though they may pay more in taxes, vote for the candidate because they support gay marriage.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Don't underestimate the third group --- "We'll put a boot in your ass, it's the American way."

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I've never quite understood how the Hollywood liberal elite were considered out of touch with blue collar America, while the wealthy conservative Republican elite were not.

6. Baron Scicluna

Well, there's that group too. It's called the idiot wing. Neither party has a monopoly on that wing. It's the wing that votes against a candidate because they bounced the ball to home plate when throwing out the first pitch.

EDIT: The above was a response to BTE's post.

7. Baron Scicluna

Maybe because the wealthy conservatives try to use the image of the old Calvinist belief of hard work will get the blue collar worker to a successful life, while portraying the Hollywood liberals as people who party all night, sleep late, and sleep around.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How long has it been since the Department of Labor represented workers instead of trying to put the screws to them? Same goes for the EPA.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Since Jan. 20, 2001?

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm getting my Colonial-era religions confused, but I thought Calvinism had to do with predestination.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

OK, is there any reason to make it more difficult to regulate workers' exposure to hazardous chemicals?

12. Baron Scicluna

You may be right. I tried to look it up on Wikipedia, but I'm too tired to go through the whole thing. What I meant was the whole 'work ethic' thing, if that makes sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted