1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GOP Response Ad to Run On Game 4 of the WS

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Oct 24, 2006.

1. A great number of medical researchers are not MD's. They're Ph.D's in the various relevant disciplines and...oh, why bother?

"Dr. Davenport, my drunken stepfather raped me last night anf I'm afraid I'll get pregnant. Can you write me a Plan B prescription?"
    "Sorry, dear. Jesus told me not to."

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My brother plans on becoming a medical reseacher for Pfizer when he finishes up school this spring. He'll have a biochemistry Ph.D., but not an M.D. A Ph.D. is pretty much required to do medical research, but again, I'm confusing one of the board idiots with facts.

3. trounced

trounced Active Member

Thanks. Because my wife is a Ph.D and my sister-in-law an M.D., I know the difference. My point was the doctor I referenced was discredited because she is Catholic, yet the primary source in the linked article isn't even an MD. Great, he can do experiments on rats.

4. trounced

trounced Active Member

I just found it quite funny that an actual MD gets discredited because she believes in Jesus, yet a Ph.D, who isn't even a medical doctor, is going to save the world from all of its afflictions.

5. No, the doctor was "discredited" -- not really, just ignored, because she's proud that she's going to let her personal Jeebus get in the way of her Hippocratic Oath -- because she's an OB/GYN without any apparent expertise in the field under discussion, which the medical researcher has, which is why he's an authority on THAT and she's an authority on birthing babies.
    Ask around at Thanksgiving and get back to us on this.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Now I'm really curious, trounced.

What level of expertise do you suppose the average general practitioner, or, say, a crack ear, nose and throat guy, has with the intracacies of embryonic stem cell research?

Are you truly confused about advanced degrees, or afraid of them, or do you merely not know? Do you always believe an MD is a an expert in all medical fields above and beyond a Ph.D. in a specific discipline, or are you torturing the definitions to fit your political agenda?

7. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I didn't discredit her because she believes in God. Good for her.

I discredited her because what she said in a couple of instances was flat out wrong and in other instances was woefully dishonest. And the information in the links I provided pointed those problems out, such as the differences between enbryonic cells and adult cells. Yes, progress has been made in using adult cells. At some point, scientists might figure out ways to greatly reduce the need for embryonic cells through the use of adult cells. But right now, the cells that work best in these studies -- studies that will prove just how far this science can take us -- are the embryonic cells. They're much more flexible, much stronger and much easier to grow.

And for the record, there are several doctors quoted in the dozens of stories I linked from the NYT. I just thought the 60 Minutes piece better illustrated just how close scientists are to some amazing discoveries. But forget that, right? I mean, who does this guy think he is, making the paralyzed walk again? Guy doesn't even had a Ph.D.

8. trounced

trounced Active Member

He hasn't made the paralyzed walk, unless you are talking about rats. Yes, he does have a Ph.D.

9. trounced

trounced Active Member

No, I don't believe that. My wife would be upset with me if I did. I just find it funny that an M.D. doesn't know what she's talking about, yet a guy who didn't even go to med school is going to save the world because he got some paralyzed rats to walk.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Which is a classic strawman.

But thanks for at least answering the first part honestly.

11. She doesn't knw what she's talking about as regards cutting edge medical research because she ISN'T IN THE FIELD. (And because she is writing for a fringe website in such a way as to leave open the very real possibility that her personal Jeebus is getting in the way of her professional competence.)

Draft saved Draft deleted