1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GOP Response Ad to Run On Game 4 of the WS

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Let me get this straight. A Senate candidate is running an ad featuring a home town pitcher on the very night said pitcher is starting a World Series game? What a frickin' moron Talent must be. Either that, or he's never watched a baseball game in his life.
    Jeff Suppan's been damn good this post-season, but Tony La Russa doesn't have that much faith in the guy. Suppan's mom may not have that faith in him. Jim Talent, however, can't wait to bet his career on the Redbirds' post-season ace.
    To Chris L and the other Republicans on this board. I hope you'll set ideology aside long enough to see how screamingly funny it'd be if this commercial first airs in the break that comes when Suppan's lifted in the midst of an 8-run Tiger third.
    If Suppan were on McCaskill's side, it'd be just as funny.

2. Michael - not only would I see the humor in it - I'm rooting for it to happen.

That bastard Suppan cost us Freddy Sanchez.

3. You're more than welcome.
    And if you think political catfights are vicious, take a look at what happens when medical researchers get pissed at each other with research dough on the line. Yoiks.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I'm laughing, imagining if a Pennsylvania candidate had run a commercial with an endorsement from Mitch Williams during the 1993 World Series.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Mitch is a folk hero round these parts. :)

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Thank you, Brandon Lyon. :D

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I don't believe the ad was made by the Talent campaign nor was the ad an endorsement of Talent. The ad was made by the opponents of the stem cell/cloning research ballot initiative.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Which is about 485 years and $327,000,000,000,000 before we'll ever see stability in the Middle East.

9. trounced

trounced Active Member

Mary's credentials are below. Where did you go to med school, doc? You seem to have all of the answers.

Mary Davenport is an obstetrician/gynecologist practicing medicine in El Sobrante, California. She graduated from Smith College, received her M.D. from Tufts University School of Medicine, and completed her residency at the University of California, San Diego. She is a Fellow of the American Academy of Obstetrics and Gynecology, and has served on the clinical faculty of the University of California, San Francisco Medical School. She is a member of the board of directors of the American Association of Pro-Life Obstetricians and Gynecologists and strictly follows the teachings of the Catholic Church in her practice of medicine.

10. And she has placed her credentials in the service of a radical rightist agenda.
    Which means, no, I do not take her as seriously as I do people who are actually working in the research field.

11. trounced

trounced Active Member

Sure, because researchers don't have an agenda. Thanks, Doc.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Trounced.
    Please.
    You're making yourself look foolish.

Draft saved Draft deleted