1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GOP, er, PGA Tour

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by D-Backs Hack, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

The Ryder Cup team also was upset at President Bartlet for some remark he made about them.[/addinganothersorkinreferencejustbecauseallthreadsshouldhaveone]

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

Why do they have second homes here?

Probably to play golf in the winter, which isn't easy to do in Sweden. And maybe to make some money, and maybe their accountants figured out some tax advantages.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up on the article. Hypocritical? I did not find anyone hypocritical in the article. Everyone was speaking their viewpoint.

It always appears that the kneejerk comment is to attack the people speaking or reporting rather than discuss the substance of it.

I believe that the highlight between the Europeans and the Americans is real and hopefully will be a reason for people to think about how American policies are being carried out and are being perceived throughout the world.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It's hypocritical if they come here for the tax advantages.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Which is why Florida is pro golfer Nirvana.

Several years ago, Golf Digest did a story breaking down (as best it could) Tiger's income. It showed that he made an extra $8 million by living in Florida instead of his native digs of California.

It's also why I'm puzzled why Phil Mickelson lives in Rancho Santa Fe, north of San Diego. California state income taxes being what they are and all.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

What's hypocritical?

Am I hypocritical wanting to live here despite detesting the asshole that was voted in by the crazy middle of our country?

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

What a beautiful hamlet.

Mille Fleurs.... phenomenal restaurant.

8. poindexter

Mickelson's from SD county...

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

So you more or less insulting the intelligence of the voting residents of about 15 states?
    Never ceases to amaze about some of you people. The whole attitude is: "If you don't share my opinions, you must be stupid."

10. poindexter

Simply put, many Europeans and other international players are put off by the overwhelming number of American PGA Tour players who identify themselves as George Bush-loving Republicans who support the US occupation of Iraq.

I'm guessing that the PGA tour members support George Bush overwhelmingly because of his tax cuts over anything else. Just my guess.

Euros love the tax environment here, but put off because the US players love it as well, and support the guy pushing tax cuts.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone was attacking Jesper Parnevik of Geoff Ogilvy. I was merely pointing out that they really don't have any fears because the PGA Tour isn't Republicans or Democrats as much as it is a bunch of rich guys playing golf and living pretty much the same way. Jesper Parnevik doesn't have anything to worry about from his peers, even if he got up in the locker room and endorsed Charles Rangel for president. Most would simply say, "yeah, sure...who stole the Wall Street Journal?"

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Bait and switch, baby. Bait and switch.

Draft saved Draft deleted