1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GOP, er, PGA Tour

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by D-Backs Hack, Sep 26, 2006.

1. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I offer this without comment, except to say that it's the perfect convergence of politics and sports that could get a wide variety of reaction from the board's usual suspects (and I include myself in this group).

From The Herald in Scotland. If it's a d_b, my apologies:

http://ww1.theherald.co.uk/sport/70559-print.shtml

2. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I think the PGA Tour's Republicanism was documented pretty entertainingly in one of Feinstein's golf books.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Rich people who hang out at country clubs support the Republican Party!?! I'm shocked!

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I notice Geoff Ogilvy and Jesper Parnevik aren't shocked enough to keep playing for gobs of bucks and don't mind in the slightest living like rich Republicans in gated communities in the U.S. (Ogilvy in Scottsdale, AZ and Parnevik in Jupiter, Fla., just down the road from Bush and Clinton buddy Greg Norman). Apparently their political convictions stop at the front door to the bank.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I will say this: republicans appear to be no better at Ryder Cup strategy than they are at foreign policy.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Bush has a fundamentalist Christian agenda? That's news to the fundamentalist Christians!

7. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Hell, I remember about 13 years ago, the Ryder Cup team turned down an invite to the White House because of Clinton's upper class tax hike. Don't know if they relented, but I remember Rush Limbaugh patting them on the back. Hell, most people would give a testicle or a kidney just to be on the PGA Tour...griping about paying a little more to Uncle Sam was a bit much.

8. It just never ends with you assholes, does it?

9. Funny, I know exactly what Parnevik means. Try being a conservative in a newsroom.

10. I suggest these gentlemen live someplace that is more to their political liking. Bloody hypocrites.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Lyman, I don't see the need to call Tyler an asshole for this post.
    They did do it and those were the reasons. Period.

12. If you'll notice, I didn't single anybody out. Interpret that any way you want.

And for the record, the PGA guys were wrong not to visit Clinton. But they weren't wrong about that tax stance, and tyler's condescending coda to his post reeks of liberal superiority. "We know how to handle your money better than you do."

Draft saved Draft deleted