1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GOP Defeats Magna Carta In Senate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Sep 19, 2007.

1. http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/2007/09/senate_refuses_to_expand_detai.php

Republicans -- On The Wrong Side Of Civil Liberties Since Runnymeade

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

From now on, anyone presenting a writ of habeas corpus will be tasered.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Will this daily compilation of rants continue until January 20, 2008?

Last I checked, the gentleman in question is a lame duck.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, if nothing else, this'll get my vote for "Thread Title of the Year".

The Onion would be proud of you, FB.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I thought the Democrats (including Bernie Sanders and Joe Leiberman who caucus with the Democrats) control the Senate?

Hasn't the Supreme Court agreed to consider the status (prisoner of war or not) of the detainees and determine whether habeus corpus applies to them?

Aside from the political and the judicial (which are all politically, not constitutionally, motivated anyhow), I don't see why we give the detainees every legal recourse possible. We look bad doing things in secret. We can set an example for much of the world about how a civilized place operates if we allow them representation and allow them fair trials in which evidence gets presented and they can question accusers. Rhetoric doesn't set examples. Walking the walk does. I don't know why everyone is so afraid of this. The outcome that a terrorist gets sprung by a not guilty verdict is not as bad as the current outcome of us operating a secret prison outside the country in which people are held for years without any legal recourse. It just makes us look bad.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Did Magna Carta cover the spread? They gave 15 right before game time.

7. Need 60 to break the filibuster of Magna Carta, Ragu. Without the execrable gentleman from Connecticut, there's no chance.
    Relying on SCOTUS -- particularly THIS one -- is a risky business, and chickenshit besides. Otherwise, I agree with your entire post.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

To piggyback on what BR wrote: Every time the U.S. chips away at our own core freedoms this way, even in a time of "war," it sets a terrible example in the rest of the world. I'm a member of an organization that spends a lot of time and energy trying to get writers and editors out of prison around the world. They've been detained or jailed in almost all cases for simply expressing ideas in opposition to their repressive home governments. In many cases they're put away for years without formal charges ever being brought.

For every Orhan Pamuk or Anna Politkovskya - famous writers, famously imperiled by their work - there are scores and scores of others around the world who never catch the world's attention.

And whenever America sends the message abroad that the abrogation of basic legal rights is acceptable, it makes it inifinitely harder to mount a moral or practical argument in favor of their release.

9. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Just to completely change the subject,

Have you checked out this website: http://sovietposter.blogspot.com/

I like this picture: http://bp1.blogger.com/_NzHG4HjtdwI/Ru-s5qNy96I/AAAAAAAAANo/sT4Tc0BmEUA/s1600-h/Train.jpg

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Thanks, andy.

Here's one of my personal favorites. Nyet! (Just say no to vodka.) Found it on a T-shirt on St. Mark's Place the other day.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Six R's support Magna Carta -- Arlen Specter, Olympia Snowe, Chuck Hagel, Richard Lugar, John Sununu and Gordon Smith. Good on them.
    Of course, Specter signed the original, so he's no surprise.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Magna Carta?

Outdated thinking.

The Senate is just trying to repurpose it.

Draft saved Draft deleted